Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The front passenger tire area seems to be making a strange sound. Visually nothing appears to be wrong with the tire.

At first I thought it was a flat tire a couple days ago, but that was not the case. The sound is constant and best heard at lower speeds, though I can hear it a bit at highway speeds.

I have uploaded a wave file of this sound.
https://clyp.it/pdlsmayw#

The sound is taken from inside the car going at about 25mpg with the passenger window rolled down. It is not the best sound capture, but you can hear the constant thumping sound. This sound is much faster at highway speeds (since the tire is turning much faster, which makes me think it is the tire.

Anyone, know what the issue could be?

Many thanks in advance.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
Swap the front tires and see if the sound remains in the right side or if it follows the tire.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Swap the front tires and see if the sound remains in the right side or if it follows the tire.
I think I may have found the problem. There is a big bolt sticking out of the tire. About a quarter inch high with the diameter the size of a nickel.

20171028_100223.jpg

Will get that fixed and tires rotated this weekend, just to make sure the sound is in fact from the bolt.

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
Does not matter, with that bolt sticking out of it, the tire is shot anyway. Inside tread looks to near zero and I can see the wear bars are almost even with the tread, even if there is a little life left, by the time a tire hit's the wear bars, it's useless in wet weather. Wear bars are only for a visual aid to determine when a tire is no longer legally usable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts