Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2000 GLS, timing belt/head damage, new car or repair?

1K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  B5V 
#1 ·
My car just died on me, and we found out the timing belt broke. The head needs repair. Dealership asking $4500 to repair. Separate Mechanic estimating $1200-2000 to repair without seeing it. Dealer offering $500 for the car as trade in.

It has 118,000 miles and is in good condition except for a slightly ripped leather front seat. (Where I get in and out). Also leather/cold weather package.

Should we

1) buy a new car (can't really afford that for another year when I get a job
2) repair and keep for one year til I get a job and buy another car
3) just sell as is for a few hundred dollars?

Looking at Passat CC but didn't want to buy a first year car (tend to be lemons).

Please help!
Thanks.
Fort Collins, CO

#4 ·
$500 is low for what the car would be worth in parts, but you have to be willing to sit there and pull the thing apart. PM purplezr2 (Rick) and ask his opinion. He's parted out several cars and could give you an idea of whether it would be worth it ($$$ and time) or you to part out.

Otherwise, if you fix the car it sounds like it has several years left.

#6 ·
2) repair and keep for one year til I get a job and buy another car
On this note alone, repair it. How can you even consider getting a new car without a job? Not smart in this economy. Just repair it, with the work that'll be done, it should run for a LONG time. I'd drive it into the ground after repairing it.....all you'll be doing is saving yourself money.

:thumbup:

#7 ·
:wrench:

Thanks guys. To explain one pt we can affort to buy a new car, but wanted to wait until we both had jobs (I'll be back into the work force in about 6-8 months) but hubby is fully supporting us now. If we do buy one, we would not be able to put any $ into savings/investments as we are now. Also we are new to the neighborhood (CO) and I wanted to experience a winter so I know what kind of car we need.

We will definitely NOT take the time to part it ourselves. I would sell to a junkyard or something so that sounds like that is not the answer.

I would still like recommendations if anyone else reads this.

Thanks for your help!!:banghead:

#9 ·
Tough choice. If you keep the car, you won't be able to invest much because of the repair costs, and if you buy a new car, you won't be able to invest at all because of the car payments -- but then again, you can predict the car payments, so it's probably worth it in the long run. Besides, you said you're just going to get a new car anyway in a year, so any money you spend to fix this one now will mostly be wasted.

Next time around, buy a car that doesn't break all the goddamn time. The new Mazda 6 is nice; I finally had the chance to test drive one a couple of days ago. Makes me wish I were in the market for a new car.

#8 · (Edited)
"I have no job. Should I buy a new Passat CC?" This quote is exactly why the US economy is tanking HARD. Where I come from, you buy what you can afford. ;)

*Ah, it's a SECOND car. I see.*

Your car in good condition is probably worth about $4-$6k used, so think about how much you've put into it, and factor in the repair cost. Then compare it to how much you'll get back for it in good shape compared to getting another car. Maybe you could get a good condition head (complete) from a junkyard for a fair price...

#10 ·
That's exactly the point!

We were going to get a new car anyway, this just isn't on our timing schedule.

Also I already did all of the cost calculations (just didn't want to post those boring #s).

Based on the condition of the car, I am guessing we would sell for $4500.
If the repairs happened at the absolutely cheapest, I could make $2275. However if repairs ran over, I am definitely cutting down profit, almost to point we don't want to hassle with. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Well, they did put 118k miles on it, Deus. If it was the original timing belt then it did pretty good.

When my wife looks cross at me, I compare my 2000 with the 2006 Corolla I would have bought instead. The Passat was $13k (In Canada they are VERY expensive) and the 'Rolla was $24k. So with all my mods and repairs, I'm still ahead by ~$8k! Until you factor in resale, and then it drops a bit more. But it's a much nicer car... ;)

I'd try to find a complete head from a junkyard. The locals can search for you, or try www.car-parts.com. Make sure the valves are all okay. Then just get the local shop to do the swap for you, which shouldn't cost too much. Probably around $800-$1000 total, parts included. Unless you're unlucky like I was, nothing else will be ready to go wrong.

#12 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.:thumbup:

The independent mechanic (not dealer) said the cheapest head he could find was about $800 and that it would be more expensive to go this route than outright repair.

I guess this is the point: now that this has happened, my husband doesn't trust the car anymore. We don't want to be pouring $ into a car when we are almost ready to buy a new one.

Based on your experiences, do you think the car will keep running well?
It sounds like most people think it will go a long while.

#20 ·
No the car will not keep running well because is is a 9 year old Passat. Chalk it up to lack of maintenance and go purchase a new car that you can afford. The car industry is hurting so badly right now, if your credit is excellent, then you should be able to strike a very good deal.:salute:

#22 ·
I would think an Indy shop will run well over $2000 for repairs. Probably closer to $3000. You should be able to sell the car for about $1000-1500 right now.

If you can afford a new car, it's probably not worth the hassle of fixing this one.

#23 ·
Final Message

Ok, well hubby :homer: is having it fixed.....:wrench:

by the dealer.

So there you have it. We will get zero profit, but he trusts them more than indie mechanic.....

And we will just use it longer and wait for the 2nd cc to come out....

(if only I could afford a Touraeg! )

Thank you so much for all of your input. :usflag:

#24 ·
My two cents worth:

A repair of an otherwise good car will always be less than the monthly payments on a new car.

If you think you will be in better finances next year to buy a new car, consider this equation:

How much will monthly payments on a new car cost you from now to a year from now?

How much will the repair cost in total?

If repair << buy new now, then in the long term it is better to buy new later, especially if it means you can buy something nicer later, or put together more money for a downpayment.

The auto industry won't be recovered for a long time. Those so-called deals will still be around for a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.