Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a B5 wagon, V6 5 speed with a just over 100k in miles. I've owned a number of VWs, namely Golfs or GTIs but never a Passat. I've been inching for a wagon and once I found this I pulled the trigger.

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

I just installed All Season Yokohama Advan sports on new wheels. The car rests on Solo works coils. Aside from that it's completely stock.

As I said, I always wanted a wagon. I love B5 lines, and extra utility but that's all null of the car isn't fun to drive, and right now I don't feel it is. I want a better driving experience. I also don't want to dump thousands into it. Can this be improved upon, or should I cut my losses and get something else? Wagon with a 1.8T perhaps? Here are my concerns.

1. Power - I understand the 30v V6 isn't the best in terms of modifications. I'm going to chip, intake and exhaust for extra throttle response, improved power through the dead zone 2000-4000 rpm and a little more HP. I know these mods won't make drastic changes, but that's fine with me. I'm not trying to build a track car, only create a better driving experience.

2. Handling - Car handles good, especially with the new tires. It's very responsive and goes directly where I point it, no understeer which is great for such a heavy front end. My concern is the numb feedback in the steering. At higher speeds there is a lot of play in the wheel which shakes my confidence a little. I want to feel more connected to the roads. What can I do here?

3. Gearing - the revs feel so tall and heavy, almost like I'm driving a second gen v6 Tacoma or 4Runner. Would a new flywheel improve this? Any options?

4. Sound - The cabin is quiet! I know this was designed to be family cruiser, but at times it feels like an electric car. I'd like to hear a little more response coming through the cabin. My guess is this will improve when I install an exhaust, but just seeing if anyone has experienced the same.

My goal with the car is to make it fun to drive. I'm not expecting a race car, but would like to mod it to a point where I can achieve a better driving experience. If it's not possible, I'll be disappointed but that's ok. At least I'm not dumping more money into something that won't reach expectations.

Attachments

· Registered
2002 Passat W8
7 Posts
Good afternonn

I own a 2002 B5 W8 sedan (my post is just below yours)
I am also interested in making some modifications to make
my vehicle more appealing and more fun to drive.

I was considering H&R Sport Springs (-1.5" Drop)
You mentioned you are using Solo works coils
Which set exactly and how is the ride?

Maurice

· Registered
2002 Passat W8
7 Posts
I recently bought a B5 wagon, V6 5 speed with a just over 100k in miles. I've owned a number of VWs, namely Golfs or GTIs but never a Passat. I've been inching for a wagon and once I found this I pulled the trigger.

View attachment 107506

I just installed All Season Yokohama Advan sports on new wheels. The car rests on Solo works coils. Aside from that it's completely stock.

As I said, I always wanted a wagon. I love B5 lines, and extra utility but that's all null of the car isn't fun to drive, and right now I don't feel it is. I want a better driving experience. I also don't want to dump thousands into it. Can this be improved upon, or should I cut my losses and get something else? Wagon with a 1.8T perhaps? Here are my concerns.

1. Power - I understand the 30v V6 isn't the best in terms of modifications. I'm going to chip, intake and exhaust for extra throttle response, improved power through the dead zone 2000-4000 rpm and a little more HP. I know these mods won't make drastic changes, but that's fine with me. I'm not trying to build a track car, only create a better driving experience.

2. Handling - Car handles good, especially with the new tires. It's very responsive and goes directly where I point it, no understeer which is great for such a heavy front end. My concern is the numb feedback in the steering. At higher speeds there is a lot of play in the wheel which shakes my confidence a little. I want to feel more connected to the roads. What can I do here?

3. Gearing - the revs feel so tall and heavy, almost like I'm driving a second gen v6 Tacoma or 4Runner. Would a new flywheel improve this? Any options?

4. Sound - The cabin is quiet! I know this was designed to be family cruiser, but at times it feels like an electric car. I'd like to hear a little more response coming through the cabin. My guess is this will improve when I install an exhaust, but just seeing if anyone has experienced the same.

My goal with the car is to make it fun to drive. I'm not expecting a race car, but would like to mod it to a point where I can achieve a better driving experience. If it's not possible, I'll be disappointed but that's ok. At least I'm not dumping more money into something that won't reach expectations.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good afternonn

I own a 2002 B5 W8 sedan (my post is just below yours)
I am also interested in making some modifications to make
my vehicle more appealing and more fun to drive.

I was considering H&R Sport Springs (-1.5" Drop)
You mentioned you are using Solo works coils
Which set exactly and how is the ride?

Maurice
Hi Maurice,

It depends what your goal is with lower your car. Do you want a better stance, more aggressive style? Are you looking for better handling? My experience with H&R coils was good, but never experienced using their springs.

If you'd like to upgrade your ride/handling, along with springs you might want to consider new aftermarket/stuts too.

The coils on my car are ok, rood is smooth but at times seems to "floaty". I'd probably recommend a higher quality brand but they are fine for me right now

· PassatWorld Elder
28,024 Posts
1: Premium fuel will improve throttle response. Chip will add maybe 3-5hp/tq with premium fuel. Intake will make a bit more noise, but no power until redline. Exhaust can add another 3-5hp unless you add headers, then it's 10+hp, but only above 5K rpm.

2: Check the front for wear, it should be stable at speed. If everything is good (bushings/ball joints/rack), the alignment needs to be dialed in. 0 toe is more fun, but can be a little loose on the highway. .10-.15 is good, more than that the steering is heavy. An (impossible to find now) rear sway bar really wakes up the handling.

3: No real gearing changes easily available for the V6 manual. A lighter flywheel will rev faster, but make shifting a bit rougher. A Euro TDI trans would help, but $$$.

4: Exhaust will make it louder.

If you can find a donor, a 2.7T will really be fun, but then traction is an issue.

The 1.8T can easily be made faster, but is not as smooth as the V6.

· Registered
2002 Passat W8
7 Posts

View attachment 107506

Hi Maurice,

It depends what your goal is with lower your car. Do you want a better stance, more aggressive style? Are you looking for better handling? My experience with H&R coils was good, but never experienced using their springs.

If you'd like to upgrade your ride/handling, along with springs you might want to consider new aftermarket/stuts too.

The coils on my car are ok, rood is smooth but at times seems to "floaty". I'd probably recommend a higher quality brand but they are fine for me right now
Hi Maurice,

· Registered
2002 Passat W8
7 Posts
I will probably drive this car 2-3 times a week

My goals
Achieve a better stance, aggressive look
Maintain a smooth ride and handling

I am going to replace the axles with Raxle axle product.

Q1: Would you recommend replacing the dampeners (shocks & struts)
if I go with the H&R Sport Springs?

Q2: Should I consider a sway bar?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will probably drive this car 2-3 times a week

My goals
Achieve a better stance, aggressive look
Maintain a smooth ride and handling

I am going to replace the axles with Raxle axle product.

Q1: Would you recommend replacing the dampeners (shocks & struts)
if I go with the H&R Sport Springs?

Q2: Should I consider a sway bar?

I think if you want to optimize the set up, I'd replace with new shocks/struts as the stock setup is designed for the springs on it. I think you can run the original shocks/struts but it's not recommended.

As far as a sway, a lot of people don't bother with a front sway as it increases the understeer. What I've hear and what PZ mentioned above, a rear sway will definitely improve handling.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Well, you could get a K&N lowering kit, a USP Motorsports Turbo Kit, ArmyTrix exhaust, and more, but…

i think the best addition would be to trim all the windows with the red balls from Spanish hats or Mexican sombreros! Now THATS exciting

• Haha
Reactions: AndreasPassat

· Registered
1,222 Posts
In the end you’re right… it simply can’t be done unless your horn can play La Cucaracha!!! THEN you’re cookin’ with gas!! (And yeah, I do have many close Mexican friends, and they approve)

· Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 107506

Congrats, beautiful wagon. Ive got a 2004 4mo V6 wagon, and im converting it to a manual car, my car had 190K and came from a buy here, cry here carlot we do service work for.
when my V6 dies im going to swap it to something, not LS swap, another VW or Audi engine, its limited because of the longitudinal mounting, otherwise I'd VR6 the car, I love this car and have sentimental reasons why i wont sell it, so im going to dump tons of monies into it, until i feel it doesnt suck anymore.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Almost the same here.. but once I’m done with the subframe replacement, and paint job, I think I’ll just enjoy it as a car I can service/fix myself until I can’t find parts for it anymore

· Registered
1,222 Posts
I went to the extreme on that and replaced all suspension components, shocks, springs, and bearings. The handling improvements were remarkable. But the old bushings and joints, from tie rods to upper and lower control rods, were literally flopping around once out. The shock bump stops and seat pads were almost nonexistent. The car originally felt like it was going to fly off the road if you accidentally gave it too much input on steering. Now it tracks and hunts corners, seated firmly under your butt

Reactions: VAGguy and PZ

· Registered
1,222 Posts
I think if you want to optimize the set up, I'd replace with new shocks/struts as the stock setup is designed for the springs on it. I think you can run the original shocks/struts but it's not recommended.

As far as a sway, a lot of people don't bother with a front sway as it increases the understeer. What I've hear and what PZ mentioned above, a rear sway will definitely improve handling.
Remember the subframe I got? It came with a very good sway bar that will allow me to replace the really rusty one on the car currently. Maybe the guy didn’t know he was sending me two parts? More likely, his crew didn’t, or were too lazy to take it off to sell separately; it was a junk yard after all

Reactions: PZ

· PassatWorld Elder
28,024 Posts
Congrats, beautiful wagon. Ive got a 2004 4mo V6 wagon, and im converting it to a manual car, my car had 190K and came from a buy here, cry here carlot we do service work for.
when my V6 dies im going to swap it to something, not LS swap, another VW or Audi engine, its limited because of the longitudinal mounting, otherwise I'd VR6 the car, I love this car and have sentimental reasons why i wont sell it, so im going to dump tons of monies into it, until i feel it doesnt suck anymore.
The manual swap really wakes up a 4Mo wagon. The VR6 is not a bad swap if you want a lot of power and you can see the turbo instead of having it buried behind the engine. The 1.8T is also a good swap, but the VR has better low end torque and more potential.

· Registered
1,639 Posts
I went to the extreme on that and replaced all suspension components, shocks, springs, and bearings. The handling improvements were remarkable. But the old bushings and joints, from tie rods to upper and lower control rods, were literally flopping around once out. The shock bump stops and seat pads were almost nonexistent. The car originally felt like it was going to fly off the road if you accidentally gave it too much input on steering. Now it tracks and hunts corners, seated firmly under your butt
This is all good and I agree it helps handling and should be checked. But specific to steering feel, that’s basically limited by the steering rack, hydraulic power steering, tie rod play and sidewall stiffness. Those Yokohamas sound good, so next I would look at the tie rods.
Personally I don’t think the B5 had great steering feel - my CC with electric steering was better. But it is what it is, and if you don’t like it, I don’t think there are any mods out there worth doing on an old VW wagon.

· One Punch Man
147 Posts

View attachment 107506

Do a transmission service on it so it doesn't wanna grenade so much when you shift it manually. Or get a manual swap into it and find an Audi twin turbo V6 to plop into it. Zoom Zoom...And it'll still blow TF up, but it'll be fun...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts