Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a pointer to a diagram for the routing of the serp belt. I didn't take a pix and now forgot.

I'll wait,
Thanks,

RAZ

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Over top of the P/S pump pulley (top), down around the altenator (small diameter pulley lower passenger side),then up and over the tensioner(ribbed side of belt will be UP), back down around the crank pulley, then over to the A/C compressor, then back up over the P/S pump.
Sorry, no picture.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Here's the easiest way to install it without unclamping the coolant pipe that runs in front of the alternator and crank pulleys. In these instructions we'll call the drivers side right and the passenger side left*.

1) Fold the belt into a small loop and feed over the alternator pulley. It's easier from the right side. Don't worry about the ribs engaging yet.

2) With your left hand, grab both sides of the belt about a foot above the alternator. Take the big loop on the right side and flop it over the fan. Shake it around until the belt is on the engine side of the fan.

3) Let go with your left hand. Pull the loop coming from the right edge of the alternator so that there is plenty of slack. This is the part that will eventually go over the tensioner.

4) Now run the belt under the crank pulley. Watch out because there is a lot of shart stuff nearbly that could cut the belt or your hands.

5) Once under the crank, run it across the AC pulley, fan pulley, and the PS pulley.

6) Grab the loop sticking up between the alternator and the crank and keep a bit of tension on it. Work the belt into position making sure the grooves engage properly.

7) Once seated, tug the loop to get out any slack.

8) Skip this step if you locked the tensioner with a pin (I never do). Hold the loop against the tensioner and put your wrench through the belt and crank the tensioner.

9) Slip the loop over the tensioner pulley. Ribs should be on the outside. If not, I have no idea what you did. Rotate the tensioner and pull the pin.

10) Give the belt a look. If everything looks right, start her up.

* If you are a stickler for proper convention, change left for right, turn around, and install it behind your back.:poke:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Really? I clipped from the ETKA but it looks like your right. Here is a diagram I put together, how does it look?
If the car doesn't have AC then the belt goes directly from 3 to 5.

That's right. Move #1 to be in line with 4 & 5 and it will be pretty close to scale.

I don't think the belt is long enough to be routed the way in the etka diagram.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts