Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. In a long search to end surging problems at low throttle settings I finally found the problem. It was a badly carbon/sludged throttle body. This was after going through all the other reccomended fixes including new air filt element, clean air screen, new MAF, check for vac leaks. This throttle body is the completely fly by wire type, no mechanical connections between your foot and the throttle valve. It had alot of burnt sludge buildup downstream of the throttle valve, and a moderate amount of less baked oil sludge on the inlet side. Could you guys lend some advice about what can bring oil deposits into the inlet side? Perhaps tired turbo seals, or some other leaking diaphram or something? I'm in the beginnings of an ARX flush, but am wondering if I should be investigating something else as well.
Thanks!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
it's normal for these cars to have some oil in the throttle body. basically, the crankcase ventillation goes back to the air intake, so any excess oil or fuel would end up back in the intake.

and assuming you have a US-spec 1.8t,

2000 = ATW
2001.5+ = AWM

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Thanks for the good feedback. Checked again, and you're correct, it's a US spec 2001 1/2 AWM. Throttle body has probably never been cleaned in 84K miles, so I'll continue with the ARX cleaning and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,463 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
... assuming you have a US-spec 1.8t,

2000 = ATW
2001.5+ = AWM
You omitted the AUG, the short-lived late 2000 production B5 engine, just before the 5.5 changeover. The AUG is essentially an AWM chipped for 150 hp instead of 170.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
John_E said:
You omitted the AUG, the short-lived late 2000 production B5 engine, just before the 5.5 changeover. The AUG is essentially an AWM chipped for 150 hp instead of 170.
i know about the AUG, but he mentioned 2000 AWM, which is basically contradictory information

1 - 6 of 6 Posts