Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I have just bought this estate as our daily run around now we are living in Spain. I have already found a crack in the crankcase breather elbow and have been reading up a bit about sludge issues.

What would you recommend in terms of oil, distance between changes and whether it's worth using and fuel additive to clean it out. I have been a turbo diesel driver for the last 10 years so a turbo petrol engine is new to me. This one doesn't seem to have much get up and go but runs smoothly, only really picking up it's heels above 3000 rpm.

Whats the best way to treat this old girl so she keeps on kicking for awhile?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Use either 0W-40 or 5W-40 Synthetic Oil (nothing else but Synthetic Oil). If you can find German Castrol or Mobil 1, those will be fine.

The original oil change interval for the APU 1.8T (similar to the AEB) when released in Europe was 7,500 miles; though if you drive mostly short trips, or at wide open throttle frequently, you should probably change oil every 5,000 miles.

Remove the Beru coil packs and check the spark plug wells for oil. If found this indicates the crankcase vent system may be partially clogged and you should plan to replace the valve cover gasket after replacing the plastic and rubber portions of the PCV system.

Fuel additives (Chevron Techron) can be used if the engine is running sluggishly and there are no diagnostic trouble codes that register in the Engine Control Unit. Though any additive to the fuel tank won't help if regular dinosaur (non-synthetic) oil has ever been used in the engine for an extended period and significant amounts of sludge, or worse coke, has formed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks electron. Is it worth using a treatment in the crankcase for sludge removal? I have seen seafoam talked about and used a bg product in my details tank. Are the APU engines rare as I am having troubles finding parts that match the code.

Out of interest, what should I expect performance wise. Should I be getting pulled into my seat a little or is it just a sedate old lady. No point over revving if it's not gonna make much difference

1 - 3 of 3 Posts