Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heading out this morning to Philadelphia for a 2 week business trip. Its my first ever business trip so I am kinda excited and kinda nervous. Whats there to do in downtown Philly? I think I am staying in an area called city center? Comcast Corps headquarters are near where I am staying. Any recommendations? Company is paying for my food budget, so I need a bunch of places to spend it at! :lol:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I hear the new Citizens Bank Park (Phillies) is pretty nice...maybe you'll even be able to see them pull out a win.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Citizens Bank Park is indeed nice. If you like to drink, there is a belgian restaurant/beer hall named Monk's Cafe that you have to try out - great food and amazing beer.

There is also Pat's Cheesesteaks who started the whole craze (but they are in South Philly, not Center City).

Honestly, in my time around Philly I really haven't gotten to know it too well, but Go Phila might have some interesting things listed.

Finally, you could always PM me, I'm up for meeting a west coast :b5: er!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! Thanks for the tip about where to go to get some good beer... i am sure after a few days there I will need a good beer.

I am actually at the San Jose Airport right now! My flight was delayed so I paid the $7 for internet access on my laptop while I am here.

THe more advice the better! I have $30 a day to spend on food... I want to use it for the best food Philly has to offer!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found Monks and I am planning on going there tomorrow. Looks like a cool place.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Jim's Steaks on South Street is the best steak shop. A steak, so you are not surprised is a cheesesteak sandwich. Order one with (cheese) and then you wan ask for mushrooms, and onions, etc.

Try to eat lunch at the Reading Terminal Market. It is the farmer's market from heaven. Salumeria has killer hoagies (subs). 12th St Cantina is real Mexican food, not tex-mex crap. Dinic's has wicked pork sandwiches, Pearl's is a real oyster bar, and don't miss out on Bassett's ice cream. The turkey place is owned by the sons of the ice cream guys. The Amish are in on thursday through saturday - Mr. Fisher's pretzels are crazy.

Eat plenty of Taskykakes, get your coffee at WaWa, and try a couple of soft pretzels from the street vendors.

Philly is foodie heaven.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Oh boy, speaking of WaWa, you wouldn't think that you could get a good "hoagie" from a convenience store -- but you would be wrong.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Whoa, weird I just accidentally came across this thread. I was searching for more pics of your ride, and I found this! I've been living in Center City Philly for 3 years. Here's where to go:

MONKS IS GREAT. Famous for their MASSIVE stock of imported beers, mussels, and burgers.

Rittenhouse district, around 18th & Walnut, for the park and restaurants... If you like sushi, Oasis has all you can eat sushi lunch until 3:30 for $12, and $20 for dinner. There's some other deliciously more expensive restaurants in that area as well. Rittenhouse is high class!

Olde City district for even more restaurants of every cuisine and atmosphere. It also happens to be Philly's most concentrated area of awesome bars and clubs of all kinds. Continental has absolutely delicious food and MARTINIS, the best around, they're famous for them. You MUST have a Mojito (Moe-HEE-toe) at Cuba Libre, about $10, but it's worth it! Cuba Libre also has very good food. Most restaurants in Olde City are the best in Philly.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) is 25 cent wings and $5 pitcher night at McGillins Irish Ale house at Drury St. between 13th & Broad St. (like 14th St.) (Drury St. is an alley/sidestreet between Chestnut and Walnut, right next to City Hall - the old clock tower), where I go EVERY Tuesday around 8pm. If you REALLY love wings, the best place for wings hands-down is Moriarty's at Walnut & 11th (or somewhere around there, definitely on Walnut though).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need anything. Or hell, I could meet up with you sometime this week if you want, any afternoon or evening should be fine. Let's talk B5.5! :thumbup:

BTW, Olde City is full of beautiful women, especially on the weekends... if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Oh, don't forget the Khyber Pass. If you want cheap beer, McGlinchy's is a landmark, along with Dirty Frank's.

Vietnam Restaurant (not Vietnam Palace) is very good (11th and Vine), Shanghai Garden (10th and Race) is good, and for pastries hit up Saint Honore pastry shop in Chinatown (10th and Race) where $10 will buy you breakfast for a week. Penang is a Malaysian chain out of NYC, very good and fun to watch the chefs.

So many good food memories. :)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You may also want to try out Jones, on 7th and Chestnut, along with spending a bit of time in the historic district near 6th and Market streets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Gurft
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing