Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me being 16 im always havin a little fun when im driving or at the track i have an apr chip but i hate the thought when i floor it in first (looses traction) and it goes to the raised 7100rpm fuel cut rev limiter lean mixture up that high cant be good. anyways i was thinking is it possible to put a spark cut rev limiter at a wanted rpm without the vw ecu going crazy. or is there one even available for our cars ? any suggestions guys ? i know you could say keep your foot off the gas but i dont think i could do that :lol:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I take it you drive a 5-Speed... because my tiptronic just automatically shifts at rev limit, it doesn't cut fuel :roll:. I don't know of any solutions to this, just do what Oak Hill said and tape a big wooden block behind it so you arn't so rev happy :wink:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I've heard the phrase "2-step" a couple times here both seemingly from people who don't really understand what they're talking about (no offense 8) ). What are you talking about?

p.s., you do understand that there are throttle positions other than 0% and 100% ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 step it a something used by drag cars to get a excellent launch you can floor the car and it will stay at the set rpm (1ststep) then when you drop the clutch the 2nd step will limit the car to your set redline both using spark cut rather then fuel cut creating the backfireing noise once you hit it probably producing fireballs if your catless, if im wrong correct me but i think thats what a 2-step limiter is

·
Registered
541 Posts
Generally you would use a aftermarket ignition box to make this work, a Crane Hi-6 or something. But it would be a nightmare of a mess to make it work with the vw ignition.

Get used to it and short shift 1st.

·
Registered
254 Posts
One of the first thing an accomplished driver learns is control modulation. This means learning the feel for your car and giving your car controlled inputs (throttle, brake AND steering).

As soon as the car starts losing traction in 1st, you'll have to either back off on the throttle or slip the clutch. If you back off on the throttle too much it will bog (come out of the power band) so some people will slip the clutch allowing them to put as much power to the wheels as possible without breaking traction.

In this case I would say that technology isn't the answer... take some more time learning to drive properly and get the feel for your car in varying conditions and road surfaces. Practice with the right amount of throttle input so that your tires are just on the verge of slipping.. that's where you'll be fastest.

I would strongly suggest signing up for your local Autocross Club's Novice School. You'll learn more about car control than most people get in a lifetime.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
FloridaB5 said:
2 step it a something used by drag cars to get a excellent launch you can floor the car and it will stay at the set rpm (1ststep) then when you drop the clutch the 2nd step will limit the car to your set redline both using spark cut rather then fuel cut creating the backfireing noise once you hit it probably producing fireballs if your catless, if im wrong correct me but i think thats what a 2-step limiter is
Where did you hear this phrase?

Ignition-based rev limits will generally destroy your motor and turbocharger in short order, FWIW. Whomever actually owns the car would probably not be pleased :eek:h: You can get a similar effect with fuel-cut secondary rev limits. However it seems pretty clear that your problem is more emotional than mechanical :wink:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will get to know the car better as time goes on, untill then why not continue ripping on me and my novice skills, im only on engine #2 thanks to my friendly vw dealer

·
Registered
917 Posts
:wink: Keep flooring it past redline in first, and you can win engine #3. Okay, I do know about the allen wrench through your piston after the timing belt replacement. Engine #1's failure was clearly not due to revving it to redline.

Sorry for my original wisecrack. It just seems to me like you are trying to use your car for a purpose that it isn't especially built for. I can appreciate wanting to beat your buddies off the line, but the Passat wasn't designed as a dragster.

Now --- what you may want to consider is switching to a different tire. I don't know what you are running, but perhaps a high performance summer tire would be more suitable, and would help solve the primary problem: losing traction. After all, in Florida you can run summer tires year round. (Some might still consider that the primary problem is flooring the gas in 1st. :wink: )

Another thing you can do is upgrade your suspension (if you haven't already). I noticed that when I went from the stock suspension to the 1BE suspension, my ASR didn't kick in as frequently as before even though I was now pushing the car harder. With a stiffer suspension, your car will remain planted better, thus increasing traction.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
1st gear is useless once you're chipped. The key is getting a smooth transition to 2nd and 3rd. Also, really no reason to go past 6,500 rpm either, not much power left there, especially with a K03. The reason they move the rev limiter with chips is not so you continue to hit the limits, just so you don't bump against them as often in the heat of the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts