Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 Passat, 1.8. About 70,000 miles.

Problem 1:
One horn (the "bass" one) is intermittent. Where are the horns anyway?
Do you have to take the front end off to check if there's a loose wire?

Problem 2:
I stupidly 'forced' the little wheel on the left front air vent and something
snapped. Now the wheel won't close the little shutters (I'm struggling for
the correct nomenclature here).

The VW dealer quoted $CAD130 for a new vent assembly.

I'd like to get the assembly out so I could look at it and see if there's
a way to fix it. How do you get the vent assembly out? Don't tell me:
you have to take the the whole dashboard apart! Right? Ah, those
German engineers!

I won't even mention the fact that the radio has conked and only
picks up local stations (FM - the AM is gone completely). After
$CAD200 for labo(u)r to drop the headliner to replace the preamp
in the antenna base (which didn't work), I'm not even
contemplating looking for a faulty cable or whatever it is that
plagues rear-mounted antennas. I just listen to cassettes now.

But - like everyone else says - "love the car"!

George (from Canada)

·
Registered
106 Posts
*bump*, on where the horns are located, mine seems to be coming from the back, but there may be two, one in front, in which case one of mine isnt working or was oddly relocated by the previous owner. More info please!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe you are right about the horns. The steering wheel horn is up in the front just behind the bumper, and your keyless entry "beep" and alarm is located between the driver's side rear passenger seat.

Anybody else have more specifics to add?

SL

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
On the 99 Passat, I think the alarm horn is in the trunk. I had my head in the trunk getting some stuff out and bump the panic button and got the $h!t blasted out of my ears. :oops:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The steering wheel horns are located at both front corners of the car, next to the fog lights, you may have to remove part of the lower grill to get in there and check them out.

As far as removing the air vent, there are a number of little tabs on it, you have to place screw drivers and bend up the dash (it will bend and return to shape, just take it slow.) If you can, get the dealer to show you a new unit so you'll know where the tabs are. After that, the front face just pops off. What i fear is that you broke the pin that connectects the "shutters" to the adjustment wheel. It's about 1mm in diameter and can shear off if you turn the wheel too far. Sadly, you will probalby have to replace teh whole unit, unless you can juryrig something in there.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
To get at both steering wheel horns on my '99, anyway, you have to take the passenger front lower grill out. Pretty much just pull it straight out. Then you'll have to get on the ground and reach your arm WAY UP inside there, IIRC behind the metal bumper and near the passenger side of the radiator, to find the horns. You can work on 'em like that, but yeah, it'd be easier if you take the whole bumper off.

The alarm horn is somewhere in the driver's side rear quarter panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.