Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much done with what I plan to do with this car (besides pile on the miles)

Small mod list -> tint, wheels, 93 octane tune, suspension
I do plan to add the ESC/TCS defeat sometime this year.

Eibach ProKit springs for 2010 CC
Koni FSD for 2010 Passat (had an interesting conversation with a friend at Koni last month as they were looking for a car to verify this fitment on our vehicles, but just live too far from Cincinnati to help)
Wheels are too small according to the cool kids, but I like them - 18x8.5 et35 Klutch SL14 with 235/45-18 BFG Comp 2 (great dry and wet grip, very noisy - like a set of Altimax snows, I'll try something different next time)

The ride and handling are light years better IMO. Well worth the higher cost than low end coilovers to get a car that drives like a German sedan.

I miss the awd of our previous 1.8t wagon, but this car has really grown on me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update -
As I expected I had to replace the clutch at 55k miles. I was getting clutch slip in 3rd-4th-5th gears if I ever asked for high torque on the highway. I went with the South Bend stage 2 daily setup. This has a single mass flywheel that replaces the OEM dual mass unit. Not super cheap, but good quality. Buying parts and having a good shop do the work (no time) adds up to about $1400.

Once they got the parts off the car, it turns out the stock flywheel had failed, and the two masses were just flopping back and forth. Now I know why it had an annoying lurch whenever I tried to idle slowly in a gear in heavy traffic.

Also - now the low frequency rumble/flutter that it was producing under high load/low rpm conditions after the APR 93 tune is pretty much gone. There must have been some sort of resonance going on with the dual mass flywheel.

The downside is that this flywheel weighs less, which might be nice in a more sporty car, or really any car if it were not for the horrible throttle pedal programming that has this dead spot initially and then a way to fast response, which makes you stall or over rev all too often. If I were a tuner writing a new program for one of these cars, I would never let it out the door without fixing the throttle response programming....

All in all, the clutch drives fine (throttle tuning aside - that was an issue anyhow). I'm digging the car more than ever, minus the ding that I put in the RR quarter my own dang self...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.