Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my euro tail lights in and installed. http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67244&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I still need to run the rear fog wire and read to find out where I plug it into. But I wasnt sure if the euro tails light up correctly on a us car. There are 4 plugs on my us and the euro holders. But with the euro holder having 4 individual bulbs instead of 2 I thought maybe we are missing a wire.

Anyone know what the other 2 plugs are for??????? (I assume one probably for rear fog. But havent looked at the install write up yet to see.)

Extras are circled.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mgolz said:
it is for an after market trailer coupling

Thanks mgolz.... That makes sense.

I just wasnt sure that a euro car could get by with only the top 2/3 of the top circle for brake lights. Even with driving on the autobahn etc... Thanks for the response...!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
No the way it lights up is completely normal. The rear fog connection goes into either the first or last pin of the connection that is uncircled. You will see the empty slot on the harness and it will be evident. You need VW wire 000-979-133 (yellow) Cut it in half, one end plugs intot he harness the other into the harness for the Euroswitch (I assume you have), NSL pin - connect with a run of wire and viola!!!

I used the Euro holders on my US spec lenses because I wasn't sure if I like the 2/3 circle thing so instead of the 2/3 circle, my whole circle glows when braking - but in the same configuration - top circles only when braking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
mgolz said:
it is for an after market trailer coupling
Well, they can be used for an aftermarket system, but they are actually for the factory trailer towing option. The German Passat that I have has the factory towing option and the wiring is tied into both taillights with the little connectors. The harzard warngin switch is also a bit beefier to handle the exrta current for the turn-signals and hazard lights on the trailer.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
faroodi said:
Todd, Do you have a photo of the Euro lights without the bulb tray? I am trying to see how they differ from the US ones.

I do not have that picture. But I can tell you that there is a divider between the 2 top bulbs. And also a divider between the 2 lower bulbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts