Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a quick question for you.

I've purchased new equipment for the yard, all 2 cycle and the RedMax blower and Echo trimmer call for a 50:1 gas/oil ratio while the Lawnboy calls for a 32:1 gas/oil ratio.

Should I:
A) run all three on the 32:1 ratio
B) run all three on the 50:1 ratio
C) have one can with 32:1 and the other 50:1

My concern is the 32:1 ratio causing too much carbon in the RedMax and Echo mufflers and a 50:1 ratio wouldn't provide the Lawnboy enough lubrication.

Ok all oil experts, what should I do?

FYI- Due to the EPA, Lawnboy is no longer manufacturing 2-Cycle engines. There are still some new units at equipment dealers, but when they're gone, they're gone.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
Due to the EPA, Lawnboy is no longer manufacturing 2-Cycle engines. There are still some new units at equipment dealers, but when they're gone, they're gone.
I heard this last summer - when I bought my Lawn Boy. I dunno what I'll use to trim my hillsides when it dies. Ah, well, that's at least 10 years away.

Anyway, back to the oil question...I just keep two containers of oil/gas mix. I've got Echo stuff that takes the 50:1 mix and Stihl and Lawnboy that take the 32:1 mix. SO I just labelled each container and keep the recommended mix for each engine.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno what I'll use to trim my hillsides when it dies. Ah, well, that's at least 10 years away.
There are folks that are still using Lawnboys made in the 70's. If you take care of it, it'll last a long, long, long time. :bow:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
I dunno what I'll use to trim my hillsides when it dies. Ah, well, that's at least 10 years away.
There are folks that are still using Lawnboys made in the 70's. If you take care of it, it'll last a long, long, long time. :bow:
My dad is one of those people.

:lol:

-Nick

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TAckhouse1 said:
Johnny B5.5 said:
My dad is one of those people.

:lol:

-Nick
Cool, I got the model with the aluminum deck, so I should be using mine a long time too. I went a bit overboard on the PAS and Blower, but they'll last a long time too and the yard has 7 very mature trees. The blower has a cool feature, it blows air through the backrest to keep your back cooler.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
scotty_passat said:
run each at the correct ratio and mix in small batches, "2-stroke cocktail" goes skunky pretty fast and you get fuel/lubrication separation. :nervous:
Good point. Always shake the gas can holding the mix before pouring into your equipment. Personally, I don't pour in more than I will use in two weeks.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Altair 4 said:
scotty_passat said:
run each at the correct ratio and mix in small batches, "2-stroke cocktail" goes skunky pretty fast and you get fuel/lubrication separation. :nervous:
Good point. Always shake the gas can holding the mix before pouring into your equipment. Personally, I don't pour in more than I will use in two weeks.
True. Today's better 2-cycle oils have fuel stabilizer built into them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts