Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
You didn't get those items along with timing belt stuff? :oops:
That's usually standard practice.
I know - but I needed to stretch the buck to the next pay. Priorities... it will last long enough.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Thermostat is 92C - spec for this engine. So I expect the engine to at least reach that operating temp and exceed it by a bit, or why would it even need a thermostat if that wasn’t the case. But how far beyond 92 is normal?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Short story: Hannover has a huge convention center, which I was at a few years ago for a trade show. A German acquaintance was our driver and tour guide, and knowing that I'm partial to Audis, rented us an A6 turbo-diesel wagon. That thing wasn't slow either. He got it up to 245 km/hr (152 MPH), which actually began to make me nervous.
First, to Rob, you’ll seldom see the OEM supplier name on the parts. VW doesn’t make their own belts.

Next, the trade fair area is huge, with massive “hamster tunnels” connecting everything, but it’s a total ghost town since Covid. I always sing this when I go by:

Finally, I’m driving a Passat B8 diesel wagon right now. I’ll see what I can get on the Autobahn today, but 245 is probably outside my comfort zone in a cow like this.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
First, to Rob, you’ll seldom see the OEM supplier name on the parts. VW doesn’t make their own belts.

Next, the trade fair area is huge, with massive “hamster tunnels” connecting everything, but it’s a total ghost town since Covid. I always sing this when I go by:

Finally, I’m driving a Passat B8 diesel wagon right now. I’ll see what I can get on the Autobahn today, but 245 is probably outside my comfort zone in a cow like this.
That’s not fair. Flouting the Autobahn like it’s ‘meh, I’ll try it on the Autobahn’, while we suffer and dream on 100km/hr roads in Canada where people stay and drive in the passing lane... lol

I don’t think my belt was OEM - in an earlier post I said that I was glad to see it had been changed, seeing the Dayco brand on it. I agree with you in your statement for the most part. The OEM viscous fan does say Behr on it, oddly enough!

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Next, the trade fair area is huge, with massive “hamster tunnels” connecting everything, but it’s a total ghost town since Covid.
I expect the convention center at Dusseldorf is deserted too, where I've been with our company a few times. On the Hannover trip, we stayed a few days in Garching outside of Munich, if you know where that is. Jorg, our host, told us about a Tesla owner in town that became somewhat famous locally for getting in front of, and stopping a car with the throttle stuck. (and sorry to hijack Rob's timing belt thread).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
LOL no - all good. Everything’s running smoothly! I’m really not sure what the fuss was about the ‘noisy blue timing belt’. The car is so quiet now that I can now hear the valves going clickity-click telling me I need a valve job (??). But now after 130km, it sounds better than my 2014 Accord (with 208000 km).

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I’m really not sure what the fuss was about the ‘noisy blue timing belt’.
Mine didn't make noise until it had a couple thousand miles on it. Not everyone has this problem either.
I thought I posted a video of what mine sounded like. I'll have to go on a hunt.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That’s not fair. Flouting the Autobahn like it’s ‘meh, I’ll try it on the Autobahn’, while we suffer and dream on 100km/hr roads in Canada where people stay and drive in the passing lane... lol

I don’t think my belt was OEM - in an earlier post I said that I was glad to see it had been changed, seeing the Dayco brand on it. I agree with you in your statement for the most part. The OEM viscous fan does say Behr on it, oddly enough!
Well, I got up to 200 no problem, but it didn’t feel like it had a lot left - maybe to 220. The road wasn’t a good one for “devil may care”, plus too much other traffic. Don’t want to end up like this: Illegales Autorennen auf der A66: Unbeteiligte Person stirbt

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Well, the purge valve came back and so I followed one suggestion to take it out, spray it out with throttle cleaner a lot, and also check the fuel cap. Both cleaned and reinstalled; the hoses for the purge valve were not tight before either and I added the dielectric jelly to the electrical connection - and, heck, any time I disconnect a plug... So far, after some 230 KM, the engine code has not come back. So here's hoping that was the fix for now!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Nope - around 450 km and it came back. Time to investigate more

·
Registered
320 Posts
W/O going back thru this thread - did you buy a new purge valve ? In any event, if you take it out you can test it with a 9 volt battery. It will click if it is OK.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
W/O going back thru this thread - did you buy a new purge valve ? In any event, if you take it out you can test it with a 9 volt battery. It will click if it is OK.
Thanks! I think you or someone wrote that in some post I found, so I’ll try that. Would the broken manifold driver have any effect on this? Ie - some effect on EVAP mechanisms?

121 - 135 of 135 Posts