Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Quality tools... would have been good to have...

View attachment 100994

feeling a bit of déjà vu... don’t know why...
Reminds of when I broke the Polydrive bit rebuilding my wife's engine.
Torqueing the heads bolts down, a corner of the bit snapped off and fell into the engine.
Had to take the engine back apart to fish out the broken off piece. (n)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Here's the bit.

This was the stage of assembly I was at.
Head to remove one of heads and oil pan.
So that meant, another new head gasket, set of head bolts and clean off all the oil pan sealant and then re-assemble.
That was a frustrating day to say the least.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Ok, my day wasn’t all that bad then... yikes

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Here's the bit.

View attachment 100999

This was the stage of assembly I was at.
Head to remove one of heads and oil pan.
So that meant, another new head gasket, set of head bolts and clean off all the oil pan sealant and then re-assemble.
That was a frustrating day to say the least.

View attachment 101000
I...must...do... an engine...like this... Jesus..you guys are Passat gods

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Besides a few minor issues I had that engine rebuild was actually pretty fun. Wasn't anything special, straight up stock.
5 years on, it performs awesome.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
It is rubber, but the colour threw me off as well! I thought it would be black, but no... fleshy pink... hmmm ok
"thought it would be BLACK" whatta think,VW is just drilling holes in hockey pucks and sending them to North America as dampers........seriously though, totally respect your organizational skills and methodology remembering the 7 Ps my mentors taught me: Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
"thought it would be BLACK" whatta think,VW is just drilling holes in hockey pucks and sending them to North America as dampers........seriously though, totally respect your organizational skills and methodology remembering the 7 Ps my mentors taught me: Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Then you deal with crappy tools where; Piss poor performance prevents any bloody chance to get your shit done. See? It even messes up alliterative escapades to get a point across... oh well. I’m picking up a new one when I drive my son to work...

Hey, it’s Turkey Weekend up here in igloo land! And... my wife is an amazing chef! Her food is to die for.. or in our case; to lose a knuckle over, when tools unexpectedly break on you...

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Hmm, now I wish had my Gates belt to compare. I either gave that belt away to someone here or I tossed it. I do have a brand new in the box Continental belt laying around somewhere though.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the OEM belt was a Conti belt. VW and Continental are hallmarks of Lower Saxony.
Short story: Hannover has a huge convention center, which I was at a few years ago for a trade show. A German acquaintance was our driver and tour guide, and knowing that I'm partial to Audis, rented us an A6 turbo-diesel wagon. That thing wasn't slow either. He got it up to 245 km/hr (152 MPH), which actually began to make me nervous.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Ok... gonna open the garage and try a cold start... If feel an earthquake and you see a mushroom cloud outside of your window to the North, with many pieces of car raining down - then that was me

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
no start... lol I forgot to reconnect the battery...

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
You have hand-cranked the engine over with plugs out to verify everything still lines up?
I never try anything, I just do it...
Wanna try me?

That's actually a line from White Zombie's Thunder Kiss '65 song

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Oh yeah, I gave it the two revs and everything in the instructions!

it’s running very smooth and not noisy at all. Quieter than the old belt. Now, I scrubbed each pulley with throttle cleaner to make sure there was no residue of anything (for timing and serpentine belts).

It must have been the thermostat that was busted; now the car runs between 96C-98C, instead of the previous level of 63. Those oxygen and purge codes are gone now

and pretty smooth running

Reactions: cchief22 and PZ

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
The old one doesn’t look old at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There were ‘fractures’ seen on closer inspection and it was stretched, it seemed as it hardly took any effort on the tensioner

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I’ll have to order a serpentine belt and tensioner; the tensioner pulley is headed towards the grave, and the belt isn’t much better

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I’ll have to order a serpentine belt and tensioner; the tensioner pulley is headed towards the grave, and the belt isn’t much better
You didn't get those items along with timing belt stuff? :oops:
That's usually standard practice.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts