·
Registered
5,407 Posts
You didn't get the rubber one?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It is a very tight fit. So don’t assume it’s the wrong part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, they checked; it’s the only one for my VIN. Once I saw it next to the old one, it’s much closer in size than I thought.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
You didn't get the rubber one?
It is rubber, but the colour threw me off as well! I thought it would be black, but no... fleshy pink... hmmm ok

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Alrighty then, carry on.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
That would be the Gates Racing timing belt.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Had one myself. Hated it.
I installed one on my 2004 GLX V6 when I did a poor mans engine rebuild. Immediately (literally the next day after finishing the engine) we drove down to Los Angeles from Milwaukee. By the time I got to L.A. that belt was making a horrible shrieking noise until the engine got hot. At first I thought it was the camshaft journals being starved of oil. When I got back home in WI the first thing I did was tear off that Gates belt and put in a Genuine VW belt. Problem solved.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well, I'll see how it goes with this one, in terms of noise. The last one was a Dayco, so that tells me the timing belt was changed at least once in the past. I'm glad I did this work now though; the belt seemed to be stretched as the new one was a very much tighter fit. The old one needed just a little bit of tensioner release to get off. The new one was pretty hard to get on.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Maybe I’m supporting @cchief22’s theory of me working for E&Y, but to make sure I can get the car back together again, I clean and sort all bolts in individual bags. lol My son who works security at a COVID testing site got me a ton of unusable swab bags as they were improperly labelled. Great for my OCD!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Maybe I’m supporting @cchief22’s theory of me working for E&Y, but to make sure I can get the car back together again, I clean and sort all bolts in individual bags. lol My son who works security at a COVID testing site got me a ton of unusable swab bags as they were improperly labelled. Great for my OCD!

View attachment 100993
That’s impressive.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Had one myself. Hated it.
I installed one on my 2004 GLX V6 when I did a poor mans engine rebuild. Immediately (literally the next day after finishing the engine) we drove down to Los Angeles from Milwaukee. By the time I got to L.A. that belt was making a horrible shrieking noise until the engine got hot. At first I thought it was the camshaft journals being starved of oil. When I got back home in WI the first thing I did was tear off that Gates belt and put in a Genuine VW belt. Problem solved.
Is it because it’s a high rpm part?

I have used Continental that comes with FCP kit. No problem so far.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
That’s impressive.

No. That’s just knowing how bad I am at remembering what goes where...

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Is it because it’s a high rpm part?

I have used Continental that comes with FCP kit. No problem so far.

I think it was from the type of surface of the toothed belt area going around the cam pulleys. The Gates belt seemed to have like a 'coating' on it. It was kind of plasticy to the touch, whereas the Genuine VW belt felt more like a rubber belt. The Genuine belt is noticeably thicker than the Continental and Gates belts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Quality tools... would have been good to have...

feeling a bit of déjà vu... don’t know why...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
bummer! and I was just going to comment on your neatly organized set of hex bits in the last photo. Just goes to show you - it's always something.

·
Registered
27,411 Posts

View attachment 100993
An old story, but true:
At the very 1st garage day I hosted (around 2003), we did 3 timing belts. All 1.8T, but an AEB, ATW(mine) and an AWM. I was more worried about service position than the belt itself as I had done my Taurus SHO belt years before.

Pete1, a former CB5 member, took out the baggies for all of his parts and used a marker to label everything. He had ADD and spent half the time getting distracted instead of working. While he was distracted, I added a couple of bolts to the bags. It was quite amusing watching him trying to find where they went. It was better when he asked me to help and I threw them over my shoulder into the abyss under the workbench. Even when we told him we added them, he still did not believe us.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
An old story, but true:
At the very 1st garage day I hosted (around 2003), we did 3 timing belts. All 1.8T, but an AEB, ATW(mine) and an AWM. I was more worried about service position than the belt itself as I had done my Taurus SHO belt years before.

Pete1, a former CB5 member, took out the baggies for all of his parts and used a marker to label everything. He had ADD and spent half the time getting distracted instead of working. While he was distracted, I added a couple of bolts to the bags. It was quite amusing watching him trying to find where they went. It was better when he asked me to help and I threw them over my shoulder into the abyss under the workbench. Even when we told him we added them, he still did not believe us.
That's hilarious! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

81 - 100 of 135 Posts