Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have diligently have been looking for any “updates” or modifiers to do to my passat but I rarely have found any except for a possible coam diy or a pes supercharger.. in a recent forum i read some people may have access to sites that have some of the information that I am looking for. I am trying to make it run way better than it was and I am getting to the point now where I am looking for actual, possible, upgrades for the car, whether it is making better mileage or power or maybe even both. Hope to hear back from you soon!

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Not much you can do with a 2.8 V6. It's one of those engines where the designers / engineers put it all together and never looked back.
Yes the PES supercharger is an option but they are not made any more and are unsupported. PES Tuning is no more either so getting an ECU programmed is out of the question.

The other (best) option is to swap in an Audi 2.7tt V6 with the 2.8L V6 heads installed.

You could swap in a W8 engine, but then you just might as well get a W8 Passat cause it has all the upgrades right from the factory. (W8 engine 270hp, bigger brakes, tighter suspension, dual exhaust, HID's, 17" BBS wheels, 6speed manual trans - if equipped)

Plenty can be done to the car as far as brake and suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much you can do with a 2.8 V6. It's one of those engines where the designers / engineers put it all together and never looked back.
Yes the PES supercharger is an option but they are not made any more and are unsupported. PES Tuning is no more either so getting an ECU programmed is out of the question.

The other (best) option is to swap in an Audi 2.7tt V6 with the 2.8L V6 heads installed.

You could swap in a W8 engine, but then you just might as well get a W8 Passat cause it has all the upgrades right from the factory. (W8 engine 270hp, bigger brakes, tighter suspension, dual exhaust, HID's, 17" BBS wheels, 6speed manual trans - if equipped)

Plenty can be done to the car as far as brake and suspension upgrades.

okay, so that is what I was thinking. I have heard of the 2.7tt swap and what you are talking about is engine swap? If I am correct?

·
Registered
92 Posts
lol, in my experience the 2.8l 30V is the most "untunable" VW I've owned. Total "Dad car". I bought mine at auction because it had 50K km on the odo and was in decent shape. There were a few W8's up for sale as well but they weren't in as good shape. I wanted one but chose the V6 30V figuring I could get it cheap and put a couple bills into tuning it. Turns out you can't sleeve it and run 27lbs. of boost like my buddies MK5 golf. Or any other fun stuff. Like Andreas said, the engineers seemed to find a good balance with the V6 and left nothing on the table then tossed the rest of their effort at the W8. The 2.8l just isn't a sleeper. But it is the best driving VW I've owned.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I hecking miss my FWD Passat wagon. My "chonky Passat" A6 Avant Quattro is just enough heavier to be less lively than the Passat, and AWD means it gets 20 mpg instead of 30 mpg.

At least the A6 has more room in the engine bay and more cargo space. I'm pretty sure the AWD is part of why it's sure-footed in the rain going over the mountain. It makes a heck of a posh work truck, although my Passat was an equivalent trim level. Either one is an amazing road trip car. (A friend of mine got a B5 1.8t Passat wagon for his move from NYC to Northern California, and after carpooling from Arcata to SF, I knew I wanted my own Passat wagon.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hecking miss my FWD Passat wagon. My "chonky Passat" A6 Avant Quattro is just enough heavier to be less lively than the Passat, and AWD means it gets 20 mpg instead of 30 mpg.

At least the A6 has more room in the engine bay and more cargo space. I'm pretty sure the AWD is part of why it's sure-footed in the rain going over the mountain. It makes a heck of a posh work truck, although my Passat was an equivalent trim level. Either one is an amazing road trip car. (A friend of mine got a B5 1.8t Passat wagon for his move from NYC to Northern California, and after carpooling from Arcata to SF, I knew I wanted my own Passat wagon.)
I love wagons. There were several that came to auction but they were all W8's. I kinda wanted a cheap car and figured the W8 was going to be a lot more to operate. If I ever got one I'd start calling it an "estate" just to annoy people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts