Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my question is pretty much in the title. I want to swap a b5 s4 engine into my passat. What needs to be done/acquired for this to happen? I can pick up a 2.7t short block for real cheap with good stock ko3's and I want to do this swap. Anyone that knows or has done it please give me input/guidance

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
What do you need? To use the search bar. There have been a ton of threads on this. You can read them or PM the people who have done it for a parts list. Certainly is possible (Matt I hope you read this one, I still have the pictures of yours on my phone :p), but it isn't for the faint of heart.

But in general, if you have to ask...

·
Registered
606 Posts
What you'll end up with is a dumbed down S4, better to go out and buy the real thing...

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
Just a FYI. Matt's 2.7 smoked my supercharged 2.8 by a lot..that 4.2 wont hang with a 2.7TT setup.
an S4 would have had no shot in hell, I raced them and can keep up with them with no problem.
Having 2wd robs way less HP.
I did have 3 people in my car and Matt was by himself...if you care.and I took off behind them

·
Registered
21 Posts
a short block won't get you far.
You need a donor car.
I recently sold my A6 2.7t for under $5k and it had a chipped engine and Eibach/Koni/Boge suspension and new Z-rated tires.
I don't know if you have a lot of time, or a cheap mechanic, but get an S4 or A6 (the latter is likely cheaper) and swap the motors between that and your Passat.
This ensures that you have all the bits needed, whether they're bolted to the engine or fender or firewall or buried somewhere.
Start with 2 running cars, and end with 2 complete cars.
Then you can get some $$$ for the running donor car when you're done, and don't have a ton of leftovers for your wife/partner to bitch about for the next 3 years while you try to unload them on Craigslist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh yeah, don't forget to swap out the fuel pump too! The 2.7t and V8 share a larger fuel pump that isn't available from aftermarket. Audi Canada want almost $500 for it. I pried one from them at shop rates of $420.
Another thing that will come with a donor car if you go that route.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What you'll end up with is a dumbed down S6, better to go out and buy the real thing... ;)
OK, I suppose, especially when you consider that a Passat is just a dumbed down A4, lol. Seriously though, the S6 is larger and heavier. The Passat may offer a bit more room up front to do the 4.2 transplant then the A4. In the end, there is no practical reason to do any of this. A Chevy small block transplant makes as much sense.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It's been done, IMO I like the Passat styling much better than the B5 A4/S4 or even the A6 but I would rather see it done on a V6 4motion Passat and go with a Vast 2.7T stage 3 kit while you're at it, but even down & dirty just putting the 2.7T in a B5 Passat would be cool. If someone could swap the 2.7T motor, trans & drivetrain in a Carrado you can do it in a Passat

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
before I get too far into this thread and fix some of the misrepresented info, are you DBW or DBC?

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,752 Posts
Matt, according to their profile, it's a 1999. When was the swich over for the V6?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
hey Matt, are you using the 012 5 speed with your setup? If so, how do find the gearing works vis a vis the 01E gearing?

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
ya i am using the 012, i had a 1.8t one i was using till the ring gear decided to divorce itself of 3 teeth, now i am using a V6 012 should be going in this weekend.

the gearing is decent on the 1.8t but leaves a ton to be desired and you find the shorter 1.8t 3rd short comings rather quickly, 3rd is way too short given the very broad and robust torque curve of the 2.7t. i find at about 50 and doing a pull 3rd runs out too quickly but 4th is a little too low in the rpm to be a good power gear. i need to either do 35-40 in 3rd or 65-70 in 4th to get a good pull. lets not talk about 1st or 2nd those are just tire screamers when you jump on it at any RPM. i suspect it will get worse once i get off this base stage 1 file and get my high boost water/meth file :whistle:

its a whole different experiance coming from the 1.8t because i have usable torque at any RPM, you can do 55 to jail speeds staying in 5th and feel it pulling very well the entire time.

on a spirited run with gpassat03 (he dynoed 305 whp on a meth fed 2871 elim) he stared in 2nd i started in 3rd and we were dead even and we shifted into 4th at the same time. this was on my stage 1 tune only seeing 16 PSI

1 - 20 of 33 Posts