Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.0T '07 Passat wagon belches out white smoke. Not drivable, not yet diagnosed. Car has 150k. History of somewhat excessive oil consumption but no other obvious issues.
Wondering if I would be better off simply looking for a motor on the salvage market.

Recommendations for a reliable source for another motor, if I should go that route? Has anyone done business with "Engine and Transmission Works", or one of the other national networks?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2.0T '07 Passat wagon belches out white smoke. Not drivable, not yet diagnosed. Car has 150k. History of somewhat excessive oil consumption but no other obvious issues.
Wondering if I would be better off simply looking for a motor on the salvage market.

Recommendations for a reliable source for another motor, if I should go that route? Has anyone done business with "Engine and Transmission Works", or one of the other national networks?

Thanks in advance.
My 2.0 FSI '07 Passat purchased last year, with 130K miles had similar oil consumption/white smoke issues when I got it.
Mine had faint smelt of burnt oil in exhaust - but you mentioned coolant smell on last post?
If everything else is OK with engine, no OBD codes, no knocking, good acceleration etc., then before you spend big bucks on replacement, my easy fix might be worth exploring.

I suspected the PCV was passing oil, I replaced with scrapyard part, but still burning oil, so reverted to original.
I then took the valve cover off and found leaking valve cover baffle inside - its plastic, becomes unbonded inside and this is a very common fail. New OEM valve cover from ECS is about $280!
Again sourced good scrapyard part after carefully dismantling/examining a couple of different engines at the yard.
Costs $15 for secondhand PCV & valve cover, $11 for MAHLE Original VS50440 Valve cover gasket on Amazon, $12 for URO Parts 06F103483E Crankcase Vent Valve (PCV) Gasket, again Amazon.
You have to take off the spark plug leads etc. to take off the valve cover, so while I was in there, I made sure the piston rings were not gummed up, allowing oil to burn. I took out the plugs and ran some Marvel mystery oil down the bores. I left it over several days, not sure if this helped but didn't do any harm either.
Immediate difference! No more oily smoke, zero oil consumption. After 7K miles, 2 oil changes later still not burning/consuming any oil!
So google FSI valve cover failure for more info.
Hope this helps keep you wagon on the road!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Just checked my notes - I used mix of MMO and B-12 Chemtool engine cleaner to each sparkplug hole, left 5 days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts