Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
I am at the moment outside the states for holidays and have left my VW with a friend of mine... Before yesterday I got an email from him sayin the passat is not starting up, first thing i thought was, its the battery. He said he tried to jump start it but he wasnt able so i thought, prob its not the bat then. Well, the thing is he said the windows still worked and now they dont and same goes for the remote, it doesnt work anymore (that got me thinkin that its most likely the battery and he is not jump startin properly)... I told him to take to a mechanic who quoted him arround 200 (including towing) which I think its a rip off if its indeed only the battery... My question is, has this happend to you guys and do you think its the bat? Also can you guys gimme advice on buying a battery (part number at advanced auto parts or auto zone since i did a search here and saw that they are cheaper than OEM)? I really dunno if i should take it to a mechanic cuz i dont want to cash out that much money for a bat replacement! Well, what u guys think i should do?
Also, my friend is having problems takin out the bat.. i never took the bat on the passat so i really dunno wat to tell him, i tell him try cuz it should be pretty easy, removing the battery of a car is normally easy.. but is there any guide to removing the bat on the passat so i can send to him so he takes the bat out, checks it to see if its dead and if it is then get a new one and install..
thx alot in advance guys!

·
Registered
451 Posts
If it were me, I'd say leave my baby alone till I get home. I , also, wouldnt have left my Passat in the hands of a friend....but that's me cause I really LOVE :heart: my Passat. How old is the Passat anyway? Sorry, though, I cannot help.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for the hint vincheung, i will check that out... ask my friend if it is cranking!
Anthracite, well dude, unfortunatly i am a international student in the US so i dont have a place to leave my car at and i completly trust this friend, i know he is takin care of it as if it was his! Its a 99 1.8t!
Plz guys, gimme some more help!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
if it's cranking...it could also be the ECU. I know when my battery died I accidentally switched the cable ends and I fried the ECU.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like a similar problem I had in my wife's A6-it was a bad cell in the battery, it wouldn't hold a charge and I couldn't jump start it. I would recommend a local independent VW/Audi shop to check it out. Also, any parts store you go to should have a guide to batteries for cars etc...
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
A '99, sounds like the battery.
I'm a little concerned about the attempt at jump starting it.
Also, a gas station could check the battery's volt/amps for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend said that the first time it cranked and after that it didnt!
rgbcpa, my friend is also in ATL, what indy shops do you recomend? I really dunno what to do, i could tell my friend to replace the bat but then if its prob something else then i would have to take to the mechanic... I will prob follow rgbcpa advice and take the car to the mechanic to check bat and other electrical stuff or what the problem really is! thx for all the help guys, if someone also has other hints plz tell me...
thx alot!

·
Registered
54 Posts
r3awak3n said:
My friend said that the first time it cranked and after that it didnt!
If it cranked and suddenly couldn't anymore, and windows and remote stopped working, another possibility could be that there is something wrong with the comfort control module or its wiring. That's what happened to me on my 2000 wagon. Wiring to the CCM was corroded and intermittently prevented the engine from starting (the ignition lock circuit for theft prevention goes through the CCM), dome lights stopped working, and a few other gremlins. Fixed the wiring and everything came back.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I too have a '99 and it needed a battery last year. It is a PITA to get out, but that's what the boyfriend is for :wink:

Seriously though, it's not like you can lift it right out. The battery is in an akward spot and you don't have a lot of leverage when trying to lift it. Not to mention it doesn't come straight up. You actually have to tilt it to get it out :roll: It's not a job for the weak

Putting the new one in however, was a lot easier :)

How many miles on your car? Is the battery original, or one you put in?

Like others say. If it's a '99, it probably needs replacing.

Good luck

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the car is at the mechanic rite now so later today I will know what it was. The car has 70k miles and think it should have at least a second battery but i dunno since i am a second owner, from 67 k miles!
It could have been the battery fluid lever cuz i havent checked that... Well today i hopefully i will know wat it was when my friend tells me... thx everyone and i will let u know!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wanna thank all you guys for the help... The car just came from the mechanic and is workin perfectly... It was the battery so my friend got a new one from autozone so that it would be cheaper than the OEM one! THe mechanic said that the bat was shot and that even when the car was off there was some energy being consumed by the car even when it was turned off... Now that got me thinkin if it is the glove box which doesnt close properly so the light is always on when the car lights are on but i know that when the car is off the light is off meaning that it shouldnt be consuming any energy... My friend told me that they did a test wit the new bat and that now its not givin away any voltage when the car is off... For today it drives well but only in a week i will see if the problem is complelty fixed!
It wasnt too expensive, i didnt go to the stealer... cost me 40 for towing, 40 to check the possible problem and instal a new bat and 70 for a new bat at autozone!
Thx again alot guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.