Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an idiot turn left in front of me at an intersection yesterday. He never slowed down.
He had a left turn yield on green. I struck a Jeep Cherokee broadside.

Happened on the way home from buying Lottery tickets. No,I did not win.
No injuries,I was only going 30mph when I saw him and hit him at 10mph.

Airbags did not deploy. Police station is about 100yrds down the road and
police car pulled up as we hit. He did not see the hit,but pulled into the
gas station after us. The other driver admitted having a green light,but not
a green arrow. Weather was clear.

The larger problem is that I am supposed to drive cross country starting next Saturday and need the car.
Body shop said they should be done by then. Bumper,hood,grill, passenger fender,headlight and
upper radiator support are toast. I could feel the car absorb the hit.
I was thinking I needed the paint chips on the hood touched up anyway.

I will post a pic later today when I figure out how.

Update 6/22.
Got the car back in 6 days after the accident. Looks nice without the chips in the hood.
Very happy with my insurance (Metropolitan) and Body shop (Craigs)
Soon to be seen speeding north-east a high rate of speed. On to Ohio Saturday and NY/NJ next week.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: 1st car crash in 24yrs of driving.

Ugh, that stinks. Glad there are no injuries.

I have no experience with a body shop actually finishing a job on time (n is about equal to 10, not all mine!). If possible, I would make some contingency plans. That way you won't be stressed when it is not ready on time.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Sounds like you're physically okay... :thumbup:

Getting hood paint chips taken care of... :thumbup:

Chances of any body shop finishing on time (IMHO)... NOT BLOODY LIKELY!

In the past, I've had some post-accident body work done and it almost always required a revisit (lights not working 'cause of broken ground, etc). I don't know that I'd want to pick up that car on Friday and leave on Saturday...

BTW, you were beating the odds. I read somewhere that a driver can expect, on average, to be in an accident every ten years (sadly, I've been following this average and it's been 9.5 years since the last one).

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had a guy do this to me two years ago while on vacation in Corning, NY. This genius just turned in front of me I believe not even knowing how to drive. When he got out of the car he looked like he just had his brain operated on as he had no clue when I said to him "Didn't you know I had the right of way?" Not much damage but as you know a serious pain in the ass. Wasn't driving a VW back then but none the less I was still mad and my wife was shaken up a bit.

Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the quote from the shop. Just over $3600. Parts should be in Friday (so they say). My backup is to delay the trip a week.
I would miss Midwest Massive,but will make it to Waterfest. I am headed to Colombus for a 4-5 days,Pittsburgh for a day and
NJ/NY for a week.

My son has an evaluation with the pricipal percussionist of the Pittsburgh Symphony. Not sure if I can reschedule. He is getting
evaluated to see if he is on track to become a profesional orchestra musician. He will be a high school senior next year.

Here is the best of the pics (I hope). Thanks for hosting Pete.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident PZ. Glad you're alright though. Yeah, I hope your body shop is faster than mine. It's been almost 3 weeks I've been waiting for my baby and I'm thinking it's going to be atleast another week. I have my car at Rusty Wallis' body shop in Garland and it seems as though I'm better at finding parts than they are. Anyways, I hope you get your car back soon and hopefully I won't have any plans when the next GTG comes around. BTW, the estimated damages on my car was a little over $7400.

·
Registered
154 Posts
PZ that's crazy man...I was in the exact same type of accident in 99, same situation...in a Wrangler, though...the steel body wasn't quite as forgiving (and a bit more damage at 40mph...)

What body shop do you have it at?

Glad to hear everyone's alright, gotta love these DFW drivers.... :crazy:

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car is at Craigs Collision (#4?) in Grapevine. It's just across the hwy from the
hospital. That is were I was going to take it anyway. The insurance company works
with them under a garaunteed repair program (Metropolitan).

No rental,we have other cars. My wife is off for the summer and my son is home
from school. With the mods on my car,I would not want to take anything else on
the drive. Eibach V6 springs on a 1.8T,Konis,front/rear sways,Wett= fun to drive.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Paul, just keep hoping for the best. They may get it done -- more body shops are figuring out that they need to work with insurance: the customer rarely pays the bill directly. If there's no frame damage behind the bumper, it may just be paint, part-swap, and go.

Time for an aftermarket grill and boeser hood?

How many free alignments have you made those poor firestone guys do?

These things never happen at a convenient time. I guess it's better than *during* a road trip... and you've got the extra cars home for the summer.

Keep us posted on how it's working out. Maybe about ten of us can wander down to the body shop and "hurry them up".

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I am headed to Colombus for a 4-5 days,Pittsburgh for a day and
NJ/NY for a week.

My son has an evaluation with the pricipal percussionist of the Pittsburgh Symphony. Not sure if I can reschedule. He is getting
evaluated to see if he is on track to become a profesional orchestra musician. He will be a high school senior next year.
Waaaayyyy coool! Post how the evaluation goes! I'm always glad to hear about kids excelling in music. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Glad ur ok. If it is a 5 speed just have the body shop inspect your transmission bolts. I had one break (which no one noticed untill the work was complete) so had to have that fixed later.

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pete,no time for the grill. I would do it if I were not leaving so soon. Alignments,about
6-7 so far. Crashing during a trip would be really bad.

Altair: This is his current private instructor's former private instructor. His current
private instructor is the Timpanist for the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. We were
up there last year and it went well. So far his intructor says he is on target. The big
challenge will be the auditions for a music conservatory.

We are looking at New England Conservatory (Boston),Curtis Institute (Philly), Juliard
and Manhattan School of Music. NEC would be the 1st choice. The others are good since
we are originally from NJ and have family there and in NYC.

Sameero,it's a tip. The impact was not hard,I almost stopped. He never slowed down and
did more damage as the car slid along his. He has a 6ft crunch on the side of the Jeep.
Everything behind the bumper looked to be intact.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.