Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who has done it and what did it take... I saw a great deal on Mille Miglia Cup 3s's on tire rack and they only seem to have them left in 19x8.5..

I do want to go with the FK 60/40 kit with this size wheel, can i do it safely?

Yes i used the search, which is worthless by the way.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wheels don't have anything to do with braking, itès more the weight of the car. Average 19 inch will weight about 5 pounds more at each corner from stock wheels so I guess 25 pound extra wont do a diff on braking capability. I have 19 x 8.5 BBS LM with almost 2 inch drop and it's good. As for braking, I just added porsche brakes and it's crazy stopping now..... Good luck

P.S. go big or go home.....15's are for wuss!!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
5 lbs? In a perfect world. :)

OEM Adelaides are 14 lbs. 19's are probably 25+ lbs each. The tires for the 19's are probably another extra 5-10 lbs each, with rotating mass further away from the axis of rotation. So yes, it's pretty substantial.

The OEM brakes have enough power to lock even a set of 22's with 335 wide rubber (okay, no, I didn't test it). They'll be a bitch to modulate, but hydraulics can be pretty damn powerful. Change your pad compound to one with a higher coefficient of friction, and you'll be fine. Porsche brakes will add nothing but increase the bling factor, and heat capacity (in theory...although everyone's all hopped up on lightening stuff that shouldn't be lightened).

And no. 15's are for men who don't have something to compensate for. :lol: :eek:h:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Each of my 19x8 Axis wheels with tires is probably about 20lb heavier than my stock wheels. But what can I do, I love big wheels. My first set was 18s and I could not forgive myself that I didn't go bigger back then. Regarding brakes I have no problems what so ever, it's just that they look kind of small with such big wheels. Unfortunetly I can't afford big brake kit right now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.