Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Passat, there was no antenna on it. So, the guy in the dealership just took one off another VW (A Jetta, I think).

Radio reception sucks. I listen to a lot of AM radio which is barely possible with this antenna and even FM gets a lot of static and fades too often.

I tried to google it and I found one listed for $201.00 which I think is way to expensive.

So.... Where can I find a decent antenna? And is $200+ about right for what it will cost?

Thanks in advance!

:) KarenMarie

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
no, that way to much
Do yourself a favor and go to a honda s2000 antenna. It'll cost under $20. Better FM recenption on my car. I don't listen to AM though
Not to mention its nice and short, gets rid of the RC-car look.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Try taking off the antenna and cleaning the antenna and base with contact cleaner (or maybe just Windex or something, who knows). If your car didn't have an antenna, there's a chance the base is dirty and is interfering with reception.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
I have never had a useable AM reception. Even from new. I gave up complaining.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
the problem will be solved if you put in a new antenna base. to do so, you have to drop the headliner. go to the mobile electronics forum here and do a search on headliner and enfig (a company online where you can buy a new antenna base and cabling for it for about $15 shipped).

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
i have a stock passat antenna from my 2002 b5.5 may work on your passat. pm me. you can have it for free just pay shipping.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
OEM head unit or aftermarket?

if aftermarket, you could have the wrong antenna adapter. it is a powered antenna and you could possible have an adapter w/o the powering.

on the other hand, if you're using the stock head unit, it could be that the base is bad. in which case, you may have to do what jay suggested above and have the base replaced. probably not hard, but i would imagine it'd take a little time as you'll have to drop the headliner (IE take your time so you don't crack it :O) and replace the whole thing.

for sure, try the other easier fixes stated here. but it is important to know if you have stock or aftermarket deck as well.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have owned several B5's and it is hit or miss with AM & FM reception. My current B5 has the problem too. I have swapped out the base with a brand new unit from the dealer and did not help. Swapped a Panasonic in also with the same results. Swapped in a base from a car that was working and same results. What to try next?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I have owned several B5's and it is hit or miss with AM & FM reception. My current B5 has the problem too. I have swapped out the base with a brand new unit from the dealer and did not help. Swapped a Panasonic in also with the same results. Swapped in a base from a car that was working and same results. What to try next?
give up and get xm radio

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anntena

no, that way to much
Do yourself a favor and go to a honda s2000 antenna. It'll cost under $20. Better FM recenption on my car. I don't listen to AM though
Not to mention its nice and short, gets rid of the RC-car look.
So where exactly would you find such a cheap s2000 antenna? My reception suffers more in the lower end of the FM band. Everthing over 102 is clear.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
So where exactly would you find such a cheap s2000 antenna? My reception suffers more in the lower end of the FM band. Everthing over 102 is clear.
http://www.1sthondaparts.com/ (Run by the same people as 1stVW parts)
Or I think they sell for that in the marketplace.
Or your local honda dealer will do it for ~$25, they get a kick out of selling peopel parts for thier VW I'm told.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In the antenna base there is a small triangular PCB which is the signal amplifier driven off a 5v feed sent from the radio up the co-ax cable. Due to poor design, these get damp and corrode after a few years. The stock antenna is great when it works, if it diesn't, a new rod won't help. It will most likely be the base.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts