Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my friend is lookin at a Audi 1999 A4 5 speed 2.8L..the seller is asking for 8000 the car is in pretty good shape..no test drive yet, but soon. can anyone tell me what to expect, to look for, or ur opinion if this price is a good price.

also if you own one or have owned one could you give me your pro's and con's of the car?

appreciate any feed back

TIA

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Have you looked up KBB.com for pricing on it? How about Consumer Reports ratings? My guess is they'll give the A4 thumbs down in overall reliability. Things to be aware of are the control arms, but Audi might have had a recall campaign on them. Still a HUGE cost. Timing belt maintenance, etc.

By saying "the seller" I'm guessing it's private sale. If so, there should be complete and thorough service records.

·
0 Posts
Dont expect any excitement "1.8T's rules" but dont tell the big eight's i said that!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My cube mate has a 1998.5 A4 (1.8T manual). It's a decent car. Kinda looks old/cheap for an Audi compared to the newer ones. He had the control arm issues at 90K miles. Very loud squak noise when going over bumps. Audi dealer replaced them for free, which was cool. He's owned it for 2 years and no issues. He did have the timing belt kit replaced on it a year ago for $1K.

I've driving it a few times and you can really launch this car, since it's quattro. He doesn't have it chipped, but if he did, it would haul even more ass.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have one:

I'm a fan of the b5 body (obviously) and I love the fit and finish. It's a bit sluggish from a stop due to the weight and quattro but it's silky smooth and has great torque at speed (doesn't matter to me I'm not a drag racer). Has a few flat spots in the powerband but not that bad.

I knew I'd be putting some cash into it over the first two years (got it at 55k and it's now around 80k) Did the timing belt (pump, roller, tensioner, yada yada) bout 1k (did it round 70k). Replaced the tired sport suspension (bilstein sports) and did some lower control arms again around 1k. Had a screaming alternater did that (new part) with all the belts up front and idler roller bout 700. So it's not cheap to repair but I really like the car and best of all it will be paid off at the end of this year and has a hella lot more fun miles to go.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
2.8s nevar lose! My best friend from high school as a 96 2.8 16v and other than the control arms, its been flawless and hes had it from 84k-115k.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
theericharris said:
Kinda looks old/cheap for an Audi compared to the newer ones.
I would argue that the B5 is a classic that will not go out of style quickly. The general design direction post Mays (in the A4 in particular) has gone gimmiky and paste-on. Each year they look more and more like a GM product IMO. The B5 has simple nice lines and doesn't scream 'look at me, I'm soooo cool'.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
upshot said:
I would argue that the B5 is a classic that will not go out of style quickly. The general design direction post Mays (in the A4 in particular) has gone gimmiky and paste-on. Each year they look more and more like a GM product IMO. The B5 has simple nice lines and doesn't scream 'look at me, I'm soooo cool'.
His leather feels almost like plastic. Don't like how you can't pop the trunk with the remote (only does doors). Also don't like the huge wheel gap, but I guess if you drive it through a lot of snow, it might be helpful. Other than that, it's pretty good.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
teh_herz said:
not tryting to steal the thread, but..hey..upshot...sell me yo' wheels :D
watch the classifieds here and at audiworld... I picked em up relitively cheap and wrapped them in PS2s. Really like how they look on the old body style. They are my summer rollers...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
upshot said:
I'm quite sure it was the old 24v and the newer 30v.... ;)

Upshot,

Actually I believe 30vVT is correct the old audi 2.8 was a 12v unit (2 valves per cylinder) which was then upgraded to the 30v unit

-2,771 cc 2.8 liters 6 V 90° front longitudinal engine with 82.5 mm bore, 86.4 mm stroke, 10.3 compression ratio, cast iron block, light alloy head, overhead cam, automatic valve adjustment and two valves per cylinder
-Unleaded fuel
-Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 8.7
-Multi-point injection fuel system
-Main 62 liter fuel tank
-Power: 128 kW , 172 HP @ 5,500 rpm; 184 ft lb @ 3,000 rpm
http://www.internetautoguide.com/car-specifications/09-int/1996/audi/a4/index.html

1996-2001 Audi A4: Highlights

Compared to the 90 sedan it replaced, the new A4 featured a wedge-shaped profile, lower hood, slimmer headlamps, and an integrated rear spoiler. Wheelbase was slightly longer than the 90's, while overall length, at 178 inches, was a bit shorter. The A4 measured about two inches wider. Combined with a shorter engine bay, that meant more space in the passenger compartment. Beneath the hood once again was Audi's 2.8-liter V6, rated at 172 horsepower. A 5-speed manual gearbox was standard, and a new 5-speed automatic transmission optional. The A4 came with either front-wheel drive or Audi's permanently engaged 4-wheel drive Quattro system. Automatic transmissions were not available on initial models, but arrived during the 1996 season.Standard equipment included dual front airbags, antilock brakes, automatic climate control, and a tilt/telescopic steering wheel. Leather upholstery and a CD changer were optional.

1997 Audi A4: Audi renamed its V6 sedan the A4 2.8, adding a new model called the A4 1.8T. As that nomenclature suggests, the lower-priced model used a new turbocharged 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine. Rated at 150 horsepower, the turbo four had dual overhead camshafts and five valves per cylinder. After the start of the model year, Audi also launched an improved dual-cam V6 engine with five valves per cylinder (previously two) and a 190-horsepower rating. Both models had standard front-wheel drive, with Quattro all-wheel drive an option.
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2256/

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thabsk for all the replys... ill be going down with him to look at the car this vacation week...he is originally from MA but currently lives in ME so like someone said the wheel gap...it wouldnt be sucha problem due tot he snow fall and the off roads he has in his area.. not to mention the snow fields he'll be driving through lol

but seriously thanks for the help

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
i traded mine in with 155000 miles on it was a 96 2.8 5speed.i redlined every shift every day!was lowered and had a few other things done to it, was a 12 valve.
was a real fun car with fewer problems than my b5.5 that has 40,000
pros and cons
pros, its an audi and you know it by everything from sport ride(all v6 came sport suspension) to the cabin being quiet even till the day i got rid of it. not one squeek or rattle. this is where vw and audi differ.my vw is like my 87 monte carlo ss with all the squeeks and rattles!
cons, not too many except for me lowereing it 2" on nyc streets and back seat legroom.thats about it.
buy it man you will love it and never go back to vw.
i went the other way had an audi and went to a vw....still ask what was i thinking!
i am not knocking vw i do like my 5.5 aside from the negative things that drive me nuts about the car but an audi is an audi and a vw wants to be an audi when it grows up!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
scottpassat2.8 said:
i traded mine in with 155000 miles on it was a 96 2.8 5speed.i redlined every shift every day!was lowered and had a few other things done to it, was a 12 valve.
was a real fun car with fewer problems than my b5.5 that has 40,000
pros and cons
pros, its an audi and you know it by everything from sport ride(all v6 came sport suspension) to the cabin being quiet even till the day i got rid of it. not one squeek or rattle. this is where vw and audi differ.my vw is like my 87 monte carlo ss with all the squeeks and rattles!
cons, not too many except for me lowereing it 2" on nyc streets and back seat legroom.thats about it.
buy it man you will love it and never go back to vw.
i went the other way had an audi and went to a vw....still ask what was i thinking!
i am not knocking vw i do like my 5.5 aside from the negative things that drive me nuts about the car but an audi is an audi and a vw wants to be an audi when it grows up!

My friend had the exact same car, '96 white. His was a stipper model though, 2.8 V6 5Spd FWD, and cloth interior.

Still a cool car, and felt faster then 172hp.

Nick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts