Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy give me a 1999 Volkswagen Passat and he told me he wasn't sure what was wrong with it but it was free so I took it.

It starts, runs for a second and then stalls out. Sometimes it runs for a few minutes. Most of the time it dies shortly after I start it... Within 3 seconds or so. It's a 99 so I know it doesn't have the immo. I replace the maf sensor, camshaft position sensor, blowoff valve, throttle body. Without much luck.
I have ordered a new turbo and a new crankshaft position sensor which are coming in the mail.
I have taken the fuel rail off with the Jets and watch them spurt feel out as I'm turning it over so I know they work they ohm'd out correctly.

But it runs for a second and is soon as I hit the gas it dies...

Sometimes it'll sit there and idle for a while but as soon as I try and hit the gas it dies.

Starting to get really frustrated with this thing not throwing any codes to speak of except for the throttle position.. if I clear the codes that will run fine for a minute and then it does it again stalls out and dies

·
Registered
945 Posts
I was going to suggest a throttle body adaptation but since you have codes for that I'd start there. What is the engine code? It should be stamped on the top of the head on a tab. AEG or AWM or ATW or AWT, etc Is the throttle cable activated or drive by wire? If drive by wire, I'd do a throttle adaptation. Search for the procedure, it's been covered recently and is not hard.

How old is the gas? If the car has been sitting for a year or so I'd drain the fuel and get some fresh stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the response it's an AEG engine. The throttle body is connected with a cable to the pedal but there is also a potentiometer built into the throttle body. I drain the old Fuel and put in brand-new premium. I put a gauge on the end of the fuel line and turned on the ignition and turned it over and it went up to a hundred pounds so I know there's pressure

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
That would be an AEB engine. Posting the actual codes will help a lot. It most likely needs a throttle body adaptation, which requires the VCDS scanner. I think the cheap generic version can do that (not positive). You can also post your location as there may be someone nearby with VCDS willing to do that. If your near DFW airport, I do them for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate it. I actually ordered a scanner last night that does throttle adaptation. Should be here tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
probably not the problem, but being a 99 and having not much history I would replace fuel filter,especially if it has been sitting ,cheap and easy, how many miles on 'er?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent replace the fuel filter yet. And it had been sitting for a couple of years. But the guy that I got it from said it was acting up before he parked it. I have a code reader coming in the mail tomorrow that I can reset the ECU and do a throttle adaptation with. There's 180,000 miles on it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really weird, when I start it it runs. But as soon as I hit the gas it dies like it's not getting enough oxygen. But the throttle body has a cable going to the pedal so I know the butterflies opening up... I have a new crankshaft position sensor coming in the mail it will be here Saturday along with the new Turbo. I'm really hoping this gets fixed soon kind of put a lot of money into this car already.

And I'm not sure what codes it's throwing because I don't have a reader and mine isn't going to be here till tomorrow apparently...

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,294 Posts
Also check and make sure the fuel pump is not working intermittently. If that is the case, it may supply fuel for a few seconds and then it shuts down. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
  • I agree that the injectors may not be increasing the amount of fuel needed to rev the engine.
  • There are a few corroded pins on the ECM it looks like somebody tried to clean them before. I open the ECM and it didn't appear anything had been fried.
  • The timing marks all line up and I kind of doubt that is 180 out because it runs pretty well while it's idling it's just that it dies anytime you hit the throttle
  • The car sat for a couple years on a farm and so rats made a home in it I'm hoping that part of the harness didn't get chewed up so that's on my list to do is Trace the wiring look for damage.
  • In the meantime I think I'm just going to order a new ECM see if maybe it works

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
if it starts, ECM is probably fine........ as PZ suggested probably need a throttle adaptation ,especially if it sat for a couple of years..... I would do that before anything else to remove that from the equation.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
sorta don't understand the 180 degree comment, other than you might think because of the 2:1 ration of piston to valve train ratio that it could be 180 degress off, a common thought, ........the crank and pistons do not "know" what "cycle" they are in, they just need to be at top dead center two times for every one time for the cams

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
  1. All I'm saying is that I worked on a guy's Volkswagen Golf not too long ago and it would idle. not well but it would idle. You just put a new timing belt and swore he had everything right. I took the belt off turn the cam around one full turn and Wallah fired up ran like a beast. Ran so good he blew it up two weeks later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It just has me stumped that this Passat runs, and then it just shuts off.... try and give it more gas in it turns off even faster. I got my dad, in the mail today so I'm going to test it tomorrow and I will be back with codes. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried to unplug the airflow meter and the temp sensor. Have the same problem with my 2000 passat and pluged out the airflow meter and it will run.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The car sat for a couple years on a farm and so rats made a home in it I'm hoping that part of the harness didn't get chewed up so that's on my list to do is Trace the wiring look for damage.
Um, this? Check the air flow. Follow it all the way into and out of the engine. Watch out for dead rats. Also +1 to what gordone said.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Also, the gas may be bad after sitting for a few years. I have enough problems with my lawn mower after it sits for 4 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got it running! I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, the turbo, and when I had the turbo out I punched a hole through the honeycomb in the catalytic converter. Put it all back together again, and like magic she stays running.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts