Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while I enjoyed my car for a while, the problems with the control arms and tie rods, and ABS module failure have got me a little (a lot) upset. Having said that, I still think they are some of the best looking cars out there. I want to know if the 2001 models have any of the same problems as my 1998, or any other notorious ones. What about the 2001.5?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I am not sure of the mileage on yours at all, but i have a 2001 1.8T 5 speed, and i hope i do not jinx myself with this, but i have 72,000 miles on it without any kind of problems:thumbup: . Last check up came out great, i do my own oil changes with full Syntec oil every 3000 miles, and that it. I'm not sure about the 2001.5 and up out there, but the ones that i know here in the Pacific Northwest seems to be good as well :thumbup: .

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Generally, with the new facelift a lot of things were fixed. They made something like 200 mechanical changes to the car.

There were a few after issues, like coil packs, but the control arm issue was fixed as well as the ICM problems, both of which caused a lot of B5 owners grief.

There are a few stupid things they have done that make no sense, and still are not propery addressed, such as putting the CCM under the driver's seat, where water is most certainly going to get to it. And, on that note. sunroof drains that do not work properly as soon as a spec of dust gets in it. Once they plug up, the just dump water into the passenger compartment.

Yours is one of very few ABS issues that have come up, so I'd say it was likely a quirk. Honestly, your issues are not so bad on a '98.

As long as you keep up with fluid changes, you should be fine for a while. Also, check that you have the oil line shields installed to the turbo.

Mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I really like my Passat but don't know what to do with her. I have it up for sale, but am really tempted just to spend the money to get her tuned up and repaired. I'm sure if I did that, I would fall in love with her again. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.