Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with a split CV boot on the driver side. I don't want to drive it too far before repairing it. It was discovered while having the brakes repaired. The brake shop told me it would cost me $700. to replace the axle assembly.

Can I just replace the Boot? There are no symptons except the grease leak.

Thanks for the reply

Pat

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
You can replace just the boot, and boot kits aren't all that expensive. If however the joint has been exposed, or without grease for any length of time, you might want to consider replacing the axle completely. You can DIY though, and new axles will run you anywhere from $100 to $200 bucks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've had 2 boots go bad on me and they COMBINED and multiplied are nowhere near the $700 your shop is telling you. Get away from the midas/minieke and get to a Dub shop if you're going to do it in a shop. Those places will put a new CV boot on your childs elbow for the right price.

·
Registered
633 Posts
agreed $700 is highway robbery. Most shops will charge you $100-150 to do a boot replacement. If the joint is clicking at all when you go around corners it will need to be replaced. Don't install a new axle with rebuilt CV joints as they fail sooner rather than later. Online Parts costs
boot kit $20
outer cv joint with boot $70-$120
Axle with new inner and outer joints from raxles $170
the boot kit and or new joint are the most work, the whole new axle is quicker but most shops would probably charge you the same on labor. If you are doing it your self and are not sure if you can handle it the axle is the better option. The work isn't that hard but takes a little reasearch and investing in a couple tools. I would give it a 3 out of 5 interms of hardness.
Good luck let us know what you do

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i had a boot replaced, even at my dealer (had a fiasko at the indy) for under $200. highway robbery, yes. done in a day, yes. i needed that car back, since my loaner was a wrangler and it eats gas like a 5 year old double-fisting french fries.

short answer, get the boot done ASAP, whether @ indy or dealer. midas suksazz :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts