Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am in the middle of changning my timing belt and all the other ones for that matter, and want to change the water pump. Has anyone changed their own and if so any advice or pitcures? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Look here for some relevant pics to the timing belt change.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70430

If you haven't already:
If you do the water pump, only tricky thing I found was removing the viscous fan clutch. You stick an allen key from behind and through a hole in the clutch. That holds it in place, while you turn the bolt (also from behind) to loosen the clutch. You don't loosen it from any parts on the front.

Once that is off, the water pump is a piec of cake. You're only removing a dozen bolts to take off the front water pump housing and replacing it. Your new housing should come with a gasket too, so make sure that is installed. OTher than that, it's pretty straigtforward.

have fun!

·
Registered
50 Posts
is it necessary to replace the water pump with the timing belt? or is just an inspection required?

or is it a good idea anyway?
:???:
Ben

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
It's definately a good idea to replace the water pump if you have a new one sitting right there :D

Here's some pics from my recent T-Belt/Waterpump/Turbo/Exhaust Manifold replacement week of fun :weirdo:

The fan assembly is towards the top, just under that rad hose, i removed the fan itself which was attached with 4 allen screws through the front.

Once it's off, it'll look like this:

To get the viscous clutch assembly off, you need another allen key, or a punch to put through those two fins and through the hole in the clutch. Then with an 8mm IIRC allen key, go in from the back and undo the large allen bolt.

There are quite a few bolts holding that large piece of aluminium onto the engine block, and there are a few stabilizing brackets you have to undo, one at the bottom on the front, and the other on the top towards the back of the bracket. And there is a nut securing that diaphram to the assembly, don't forget it either!

Keep track of the bolts too, there are a few that are longer than the rest, make sure you remember which holes they came from

This is the bracket at the top, loosen the bottom allen head screw and remove the top one completely.

Here's what you see when you get it all undone. The hole in the centre there is the coolant outlet from the block. The water pump assembly is just held under that larger assembly with pressure from all those bolts, so if you've undone the lower coolant hose (10mm bolt) and removed the fitting, it should easily be removed. And keep all the Power Steering hoses connected, there is no need to take on the hassle of removing them.

Lower coolant hose, and the front bracket (just above the hose) that bolts into that large assembly.

Now that you've got it all undone, what are you goin to do with it...
Well, I reused the upper Alternator bolt and put a towel down (to not scratch anything) and hung the assembly from my upper rad assembly.
It's plenty strong and gets the assembly out of the way.

Shot from the other side:

Useless shot from below:

Lower coolant hose fitting, inspect for any buildup, etc. etc.

New water pump on the left, old one on the right. As well as the new and old thermostats. (Note, only 7 screws are shown, but there are 9 holding the waterpump together :lol:

It takes a little wrangling, but once you align the pump underneath of the larger assembly, all the bolts will fall through into place and you can begin tightening them :D

Here's a couple shots of it all bolted up:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts