Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to buy a Passat and found one I wanted in my price range and was told that it was a 1998 Passat. When I went to the dealer I saw that it was infact a December 1997 Passat that was first registered in 1998.

I didnt want to buy it, as reviews I had read told me that the 1998 Passat had drastic improvements over the 1997 model. However, on this site I now read that the B5 came out in 1997 in Europe? Well I live in Australia.

Here is a pic of the Passat:

My question is, has this got the same improvements as the 1998?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help :D.

In return Ill be glad to expand the B5 Club down under if I get the Passat :D. heh.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
my 2000 passat was manufactured in dec. of 1999. My guess is it's a one of the first made '98. You can't have a '98 ready to sell Jan. 1st of 1998 if it's not built before that day. HTH

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sence.

So that looks the same as the 1998? I cant find any pics of a 1997 model to compare too Im at work and dont want to be googleing too much.

So all the upgrades in the 1998 model would be in this one? Anyone know of any problems this car would have? Its at an official VW dealer and has been checked out and serviced.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh thanks a lot, ok this is definitly the B5 body shape then :D.

Does anyone know if there were any major problems to the first production line of this model that I would need to know about?

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Yes. You need to ask about the turbocharger heat shield and oil lines. Also the Timing belt tensioner - should have been replaced with an updated model along with a new belt by now. Control arms and tie rod ends were an issue on the 98's - should have already been fixed.

Put your city in the location section of your profile. There are a few B5ers down there who will be glad to lend a hand if they can find you! :)

Welcome!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok added my location. Thanks for the list.

The car seemed to have a full history of servicing. Its good because it was bought new at that dealer and serviced I believe at that same dealer too, so they should know whats up with it. Ill check the records over and ask about the things you listed.

Ive never bought from a dealer before, is it fair for me to ask them to take care of any of the above at their cost because it should have been done?

·
Banned
373 Posts
Rukas said:
Hey guys, I want to buy a Passat and found one I wanted in my price range and was told that it was a 1998 Passat.
Is that tag in the window really showing AUS$26590? If it is, then that translates into USD $21,000 at today's rate of exchange.

I know autos are more expensive in many places overseas due to taxes and stuff but man...$21,000 for a six year old car!!! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
189 Posts
That is in fact a 1998 model Passat. I owned a 96 Passat. The 96's and the 97's had a different body design. Just type in '1997 passat' in your search engine and you will see. I did notice that car looked like it had clear fluted corners.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Passat B5 started production life on 1996
Generally all Euro producers are stating model (for example) 1998 for all cars actually produced after Jun-November (depends on producer) 1997
my car was produced on August 31st 1998 and is MY (Model Year) 1999 and in VIN(Vehicle Indetification Number) there is X letter for 1999. In your case 1997 MY have letter V and 1998 MY have letter W.Those letters are in VIN number, 10th in row from left to right

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I have 98 1.8T . I bought it in 97 Oct. 1997 passats are diferent body,this is a B5. Corner lights here in US are orange dont know about Aus how it was. And yes all passats I think are made in Germany (the ones we have here in US) and Jetta golf beetle in Mexico

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Check the VIN of the car- count from left to right, up to 10th letter V(97) or W(98) and... Voila you have MY of car.
Open trunk check under carpet for sticker (or in spare tire box) you will find FULL birthday date

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also i believe some early 97 :b5: 's have orange direction indcator lenses & have green interior dash illumination.......I think the blue dash lighting came in arround march 98 ? :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
grhdylan said:
Also i believe some early 97 :b5: 's have orange direction indcator lenses & have green interior dash illumination
Sounds like mine. Was built 7/97 and I bought it 9/97. Have the classic green dash and orange SM/Corners. Found some items like the dash indicator for the rear fog was already installed, so I just added the euro-switch and it worked :)

I haven't had any major problems with mine, have close to 90K miles on her and still running great.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It looks like it has the smaller passenger mirror, but it is hard to tell, especially since the passanger side is on the left. :lol:

Don't know when they switched to same sized mirrors, but I kind of like the small one.

Brett

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woah thanks a lot for the infomation guys, youve all been very helpful.

Yes the passat price is 26 something on the window, but Ive got it down to AU$18,990 which is cheap for a 98. They are very hard to find anyway. Which will probably make it a bitch to resell a couple years down the track when I want to upgrade to a newer one :(.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
sell?? you plan to sell a :b5:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
17 Participants
Rukas
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing