Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been scouring the web for a decent example of this car to buy as my second/project car. We have a new 4Runner and only need this car to drive approximately 2000-3000 miles a year. We have a 1986 Suburban that is now leaking oil like a seive and I would like to get rid of it. I would like something that is not pedestrian and also not impossible to have repaired and without too many known problems.

I have seen these cars for around $9000-$12,000 with anywhere from 85,000 to 140,000 miles.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I think you guys are all masochists for picking up 10 year old German cars and expecting them to be reliable.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
1 thing is for sure, old S6 will be lot more reliable then the B5 S4.......and from what I understand old S6 was an S4....same 20v 5 cyl Turbo motor, which is one of the best Audi EVER offered.
From what i've gleaned, its a very stout motor.
Look for one that hasn't been abused and you should be fine. Lot of people still daily drive them.
They're one of the cars I'd like to own, so I say "why not?"

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The 1.8T is a very stout motor too. Its just everything else that sucks.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Take the motor out, put it in a go-cart/sandrail, all good. Otherwise open up a savings account with your bank titled "Misc. Electrical Bits"

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take the motor out, put it in a go-cart/sandrail, all good. Otherwise open up a savings account with your bank titled "Misc. Electrical Bits"

I'm aware of minor electrical issues with a car that age. I can fix small items that woud be of annoyance. I can live without one window going down, but I can't live with ignition issues.

I guess I wil continue to research these cars as I really like the look of them, and I have always wanted one of the original 20Vs.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
It's not the window going down that's a problem- it's when it's down and won't go up ;) Little annoyances add up.. like dash warning lights that are on and off depending on the phase of the moon, doors that won't lock/unlock properly (gotta love vacuum-based central locking), window/sunroof motors, lights burning out, etc

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
Ignition switch, starter relays, wiring corrosion are all areas to be worried about. The older wiring cracks and corrodes easily. Oil leaks, trans and differential leaks are common on older quattros too.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not the window going down that's a problem- it's when it's down and won't go up ;) Little annoyances add up.. like dash warning lights that are on and off depending on the phase of the moon, doors that won't lock/unlock properly (gotta love vacuum-based central locking), window/sunroof motors, lights burning out, etc

OK. Points taken.

Recommend me an older car, European hopefully, with some style and that would be reasonably reliable and reasonably priced. Or do they not exist? How about a 944 turbo, Mac? :)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I think Mac sold his 944 turbo for that very reason...little annoyances adding up.

What are you looking for in the car? And how do you define style?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think Mac sold his 944 turbo for that very reason...little annoyances adding up.

What are you looking for in the car? And how do you define style?
I would like something fairly reliable that would seat 4 and in a pinch 5. Only required to drive around 2000-3000 miles a year. All-wheel drive would be nice for the winter here. Don't want to spend more than $8,000 to $10,000.

I just don't want this car to be an appliance. It would be fun to have a car that is nice to begin with and maintain it and keep it for a long time.

I guess it is hard to define style. I guess style would be something along the lines of, "Nice to look at and uncomplicated lines with a style that won't look ancient in 10 years." I still think the Audi 200 and VW Corrado look timeless.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yea, and my Audi 90 too, heh (although that one had more than an annoyance unfortunately)

Hey, are you saying my Subaru doesn't have style? :mad:

You just need to go back further, to pre-electrogadget days, or look at cars that weren't luxury oriented in the first place. Luxury cars don't age well, and that is reflected in their price. 911 SC isn't a bad idea- earlier 911s are good too but the good ones are getting expensive again. An early Boxster can be had for $15k, which is quite a nice buy but may not fit your definition of reasonably priced. E30s aren't bad but probably don't have the panache you're after.

Edit: Nix the boxster then based on your last reply ;)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, are you saying my Subaru doesn't have style? :mad:

Not at all, just not my style I'm looking at for this specific car. How far would I have to go back to get rid of the elctro-gadget? Pre 1980?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I was just kidding anyways. Pre-1980 is good but it's tricky because before 1970ish you won't have a galvanized body and you know what that means. There's a pretty short list of stylish European 4-seaters from that era. M-B made some beautiful tanks in that period, if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What not to buy...

I'm with you on the s4/s6. Had one, loved it...wanted something a little more unique after the s4 met an untimely fate with a saturn, so I got this...

Loved it !!! but cars from Audi, from that time period, well there just not as reliable as you would want. I'm happy with my lil 1.8t and the fiancee's 2001 S4, but then again, an old coupe quattro could be tasty..

-Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts