Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Picked up a mint 1992 Passat GL, fully loaded. Everything seems to be fine and all I have had to do is replace the strut cartridges. On two occasions though, under normal acceleration, the automatic transmission seems to "slip" and the engine will rev and then the transmission will catch again. I have checked the fluid level and it is fine. As I am new to this car, I would like soem direction as to what to do next. The little checking on the net I have done scares me as most sites are very critical of the automatic transmissions in this car.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry Mark, but you most likely will need a new trans or have it rebuilt. The trans on that year was suspect. I had mine rebuilt at around 125K. It's a very common problem. Check out vwvortex.com and check the passat forum there. You will see that this is not uncommon. Mine is also a '92 that my daughter now drives. But I had no hesitation having the trans done as the rest of the car has been bullet proof. We now have ~160 miles on it and the engine is just as strong as day one, and all the electrical stuff is still working just fine. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts