Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Jetta is sold, leaving me with no VAG products in the garage. Driving around yesterday I stopped at a local VW/Audi specialty shop called Euronutz and found two possible replacements for the Jetta. My purpose for the second car is no more than garage candy and weekend uses. I had a 1987 Audi 5000CStq back around 1995-1996 and loved the thing but ended up getting rid of it for a brand new Honda. So here are the details on the two cars I found:

1990 Audi 100- non-quattro, non-turbo, auto, loaded, pearl white w/pearl rims, black leather, 143k miles, 2 owners. Exterior and interior are near mint. Supposedly it runs great, although it does need a few things. It needs 4 new tires, a headlight (cracked) and window regulator for driver's door. It is owned by one of the mechanics and he's just looking to get back the cost of a tranny he put in it. The old man who owned it first religously maintained it, supposedly. He died and car w/bad tranny was given to Euronutz by wife. Mechanic fixed and is driving but doesn't need it. $500 for car, $125 or so for regulator, $300 or so for tires, $100 tops for replacement headlight.

1990 VW Jetta coupe- black, manual, sunroof, interior and exterior in very good condition, blown headgasket. No history on car, interior is dry, trunk a bit damp, again the body and paint are clean except a dent in rear bumper. Supposedly it will fine with a new headgasket. The owner of the shop wants $500 for car, about $1000 to do headgasket, redo pistons and some other hg related stuff. New shocks and tires.

I know the Audi can be finicky and costly, but ever wanted something so bad? I guess because it's almost a sentimental thing and it would remind me of how much I loved my old 5k. I'm leaning towards the Audi for that reason and because it is currently being driven everyday. The Jetta has been sitting for a few months in a shale pit along with a bunch of junked Audi's and VW's. Truley sad sight seeing all these MK1's, MK2, MK3, and MK4's all wrecked and gutted. Right in the middle of them is a 2003 Maxima Titanium Edition w/hardly any miles on it,owner died and they are waiting for title.

Any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
atomicalex said:
Cabriolet. :)
I looked at a 1990 Cabriolet yesterday too. Odd shade of blue with teardrops that had matching inserts, checkered seats to match. A guy with one tooth came out and told me that it has recently had about $2k in work done to it. I cram my 6'3" frame into it, the seat is busted, top is in tatters, the shifter feels like mashed potatos, battery dead and about three inches of water in the backseat. Great car to strip down and redo but too small for me.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atomicalex said:
Scirocco seat pans will fix the height issue. :)

Just poking at you, I'm so in love with my Cab that almost nothing is more wonderful in the world. I don't think I could love a Caterham 7 more.
What's a Catherham 7?

Oh and when it comes to Cabriolets, how come no one believes me when I say that there was some sort of Ralph Lauren edition back in 1992 or something. My cousin had one, maroon with fancy interior and RL Polo emblems all over it. That is what it was right?

Ehh, height issue or not I would have been more serious if it was in better shape. Cool cars. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Take the 100. You do not want an engine that has been sitting with a blown head gasket for several months. The pitting in the cylinders would require a new block.

Just check the wiring for corrosion! Don't expect much for performance or mileage,but it makes a good DD.

·
Registered
539 Posts
mopower said:
Keep looking.
X2 I was with Audi back in those days of the 5000 and 100/200 cars. Electronics were the sh#ts! The fact that the later cars had galvanized bodies and the interiors were put together really well leads the uninformed to think more of them than they should. I'd look for a 90 quattro 5spd if I was thinking of going to that vintage of Audi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts