Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this beauty on Sunday:
http://www.reinaintlauto.com/1984-bmw-635-csi-euro-model--c-285.htm

The problem is, my fiance and I just bought a house. The payment is only $40 more a month than our rent payment was, but we still have a ton of expenses. The $8k tax credit was used up on the downpayment. There are no spare funds right now that I could justify using to buy a car. ...BUT!!! I probably will never run into a car like that ever again. What would you do?

·
Magical *****
3,069 Posts
There is one in my area too that I've actually seen a few times. :banghead: BTW, these cars don't depreciate, I looked at one before buying my passat 5 yrs ago and they were cheaper then, then they are now. Just food for thought.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Money pit. Early 80's BMW's weren't known for being reliable and parts are as expensive as new (assuming you will wrench yourself). The car doesn't even drive that well compared to newer run of the mill cars either.

Sure does look good though, and can't beat the miles.

·
Magical *****
3,069 Posts
I disagree postman, my dad has had the family 1982 733i for 16 yrs (I'm currently driving it) and its been more reliable than the newer bmw's we've had, hondas, toyotas, audis, the B5, chryslers and jeeps. Currently with 208k and running very strong.

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Back in the 80s a neighbour of mine had an M version of this car in, ahem, indigo blue pearl :thumbup:... and gave me a few rides in his car.

This thing went like a scalded cat hopped up on Jaegerbombs. :icon_eek:

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
I'm not a fan. I do like BMW's tho, my gf drives a 2006 330Ci with the M package...oh baby, it's sweet! ;)

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
:poke: You owe me a new keyboard. I just made a mess out of this one... :whistle:

FWIW, that is one of my personal all-time favorite cars, probably in my lifetime top 5...

:bowdown:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Do the responsible thing and assure your mortgage will be met every month without having to worry about a car payment.
Word. And stress test EVERY portion of your living expenses that might vary, as well as your expected income(s). If you have anything left over for discretionary, then maybe go for it.

I wouldn't touch it without plenty of garage space for it. That's why a 3-car garage (or at least a shed/outbuilding) is on my wish list one day. That'll go a long way toward maintaining the value. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing one of these neglected in someone's side yard, covered in leaves, sun damage, and rust.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts
Not doing it for me.

The ONLY older Bimmer I would even consider is a 2002 Turbo.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I always wanted the old 850 V12. Looks very Sharky.

If it had to be a 6, I had a customer with an absolutely MINT condition '74 CSi (I think) that I always loved as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts