Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Palm Springs Air Museum this weekend and saw some awesome WWII planes and exhibits.
They also had some vintage autos including a rare 1948 Tucker. Since they only made a few of these babies (51 Total), it was cool to actually see. No barriers either, I went right up and touched the chrome and did a Vulcan mind meld with this beauty.

Jim

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I<3myW8 wrote:
And 3 pipes? :eek:
Actually there's six pipes. Three on each side, one per cylinder. This thing is cool. The transmission was unique too. I'm sure some vehicle historian here can give more technical details than I about what was good and bad on this car.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I beleive the maker made gun turrets used on WWII vehicles. He also designed a military vehicle, but it was shot down because they thought it was too fast. This vehicle was way ahead of its time. They considered using seatbelts on it but eventually scrapped the idea because they thought it would appear unsafe. It did have a padded dashboard and steering wheel making it much safer than most cars out at the time. I also remember that it was also quite quick compared to other cars at the time, and the trademark feature being the center headlight that turned the way you steered the car. Preduction was eventually halted because of fraud (mail fraud I beleive), otherwise it would have set a new standard for other cars to live up to.

That was a general outline of a paper I wrote a few years back :D . I left out a lot, but that was all I could remember. I have a whole book on the tucker, but I can't seem to find it now.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
It had a Lycoming engine if I recall?

A friend of the family was going to start a franchise. He met Tucker and got to drive one from Illinois (I think) to Los Angeles. He swears he was hitting 140, but that may be an old mans imagination. He still likes to tell the story though! :)

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
What a great car for its time, and these pictures show that its in pristine condition. Very nice IMO. I remember watching a show/documentary on Tucker's life and his accomplishments. If you look at his designs, some are still in todays cars and trucks, over 50 years later.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.