Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it is. After much anticipation and waiting my wife Lora has finally wore her dad down that he gave her his hotrod that they worked on together. Wife was probably beating on something with a hammer when she was 2 or 3 but she was helping. According to her. :wink: Built in the '70's this is quite the car.

Being a VW guy myself I was somewhat wondering what to think about this thing but, I'm now giddy about driving / riding in this car. What a joy it is. So simple, sooooooo fast. Makes me wonder why I'd bother to soup up my Passat now. (heresy I know, I take it back. :D )

So what's it got? It's got a HUGE Big Block Chevy Motor with a Weiand 6-71 blower. 8.5:1 compression and at least 10psi of boost. It's driven thru a 4-speed manual close ratio tranny to a '63 Jaguar rear end with independent suspension and posi-traction. Traction is relative though because it'll turn the 33 tall x 19.5 wide Mickey Thompson's into smoke with hardly any effort. :shock:

What doesn't it have? No A/C, no heat, no power steering, no power brakes, no turn signals, no seatbelts, no rear view mirror. Oh yea no cup holders either. :lol:

Driving this thing is quite a challenge. Wife is still trying to get a hang of the floor mounted pedals. The brakes are really stiff to push down, the clutch is pretty heavy, but be ginger with that gas pedal! WHOOOAA. :lol: It doesn't turn so good, it takes like 20 turns of the wheel to get into a parking space, and the brakes aren't that great either.

But one thing it does do is go fast. I'm a bit of a speed freak myself, college involved a lot of late nights racing anything at would go at the light. Screaming down a lot of roads, and generally just being a punk. Driven some fast cars since then, but **nothing** prepares you for a lightweight big block roadster that makes 400-500 some horsepower. Tires go up in smoke in 1-2-3 gear at any RPM you want. It's undescribable.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
:shock:

Just curious...where would you run this? It seems like a purpose built drag car and doesn't look too street legal? But I do see a plate on it. :)

Can you say UNDERSTEER? :lol:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we ride around the street right now. Only had it for month though. Yea it's not real streetable.

It's getting dyno'd on the 13th. Doesn't even have the secondaries on the carbs hooked up yet.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Very sweet ride. Did your wife's parents live in Florida? Or they live in MI but the car registered in Fl where they possibly have a winter home? :wink:

Snowbirds.... :poke:

Car looks really nice. Keep us posted on the dyno runs. Im sure its gotta put out some nice numbers.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife's father is retired in FL. Her step dad and mother live in CT. My parents live in Memphis, TN but are moving to Minneapolis. Brother in Birmingham, AL, best friend in Atlanta. Yea we do some driving! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts