Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I would like to ask those expert here that., what is the widest tyre I can mount on a 18X8.5 rim.

265 or 255..

thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Offset and fender isn't a problem...

I just wanted to know technically how wide of a tyre a 8.5 wide rim can fit.

thanks

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
depends on how thin the sidewall is, if its for an SUV you can get away with 295s cuz the big sidewall flexes, but for a passanger car I would think that 245 or 265 would be the biggest the sidewalls would allow.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh., So basically saying a 8.5 wide rim will be able to mount a 265 tyre on it..,. thanks

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have 255/35/18s on my 18x8.5" rear wheels and it's just perfect. Sidewall is parallel to lip of wheel and is flush.

I have 235/40/18s on the front wheels, same 18x8.5", no sidewall stretch but the sidewalls are not flush with the wheels so that if you laid the wheel on the ground, the back of the wheels still touch. the wheels with 255s do not touch the ground, only the tires.

I don't think 265s will fit, go to tirerack and check out the specs of the tires you want. It will have the recommended rim width range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
FastPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing