Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a 99 Passat GLS 1.8t with KW Variant 2 Coilvers next week. It currently only has the steelies on it.

I'd like to put a set of 18x8.5" wheels on it with an offset of 35mm. Will I have rubbing issues anywere or will these clear the fender lip?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! The car is currently dropped so that you can JUST BARELY see the top of the front tire. It could go lower though. :D :lol:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good. Do you have any other angles? My car is dropped about 3.5" lower than yours in that photo... I think front tire rubbing while turning may be an issue.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
VaRiX said:
Sweet! The car is currently dropped so that you can JUST BARELY see the top of the front tire. It could go lower though. :D :lol:
Is this on the steelies? I don't think I'd go any lower on 18s.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
thats the beauty of coilovers. if it does rub...raise it up! but if it's tuckin steelies, 18x8.5 will definitely rub the fender.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
schmove said:
thats the beauty of coilovers. if it does rub...raise it up! but if it's tuckin steelies, 18x8.5 will definitely rub the fender.
I have vogtland springs and koni shocks and 18x8.5 is not rubbing the fender

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks Kendo!

Looks like B5s have smaller front fender lips than B5.5......

Now I've gotta find 18x8 or 18x7.5 et40-42 I think that would tuck them in nicely.

My buddy runs a '99 A4 with 17x7.5 et 48 and it looks very sedate and OEM.

(Kendo's look too agressive to me :shock: )

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TX B5.5... your car is SWEET! I'm loving the drop and wheels on your car. Are those the FLIK Artics? I'm getting the same ones, but in Anthracite centers.

It does look like the B5.5 gets wider front fenders. Bummer.

Kendo.. thanks for the photos. I see that I might have an issue. Maybe the negative camber increase as the car goes lower can save me in this instance...

I've done it before, but if I have to, I'll have the mounting surface of the front wheels milled 5mm. I needed to do this to fit 17x8" et30 wheels on my B3 Passat GLX. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found another option. Slightly different wheels, but only a slight change.

These are 18"x7.5" with an offset of 33mm. That gives me another 11mm of clearance over the 8.5 30mm's according to this calculator:
http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

Man.. what a dilemma!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like it'll HAVE to be the Wasps in 18x7.5 et33. One of our fellow members has them on his ride:

The 18x8.5's would be another 11mm out to the lip of the fender.. it's hard to tell up front, but I think it'll at least rub in a straight line... while turning it'd be even worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
VaRiX
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing