Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I found some rims that I like but the problem is they have a wide offset that concerns me. I have a 2002 that I haven't dropped yet but plan on about a 1.5" drop after I get the rims on. The rims are going to be 18x8.5 with a 30 offset and I'm really worried about having promlems with the clearance in the wheel well area. Does anyone have this size on a B5.5 without problems and a drop to match?

Here is a picture of the rim and a PS pic of a similar car to mine with the rims on it. Please give me your opinions on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hey buddy, those will look really nice on your car! You saw mine with the AT Italia rims. Mine are 18X8 with a 40mm offset, and 225/40/18's and I have had NO problems with rubbing. I'm not sure how much of a difference the extra 10mm will make though...
Which suspension are you thinking about? I went with the H&R sports and my drop seems to be even more more than H&R's advertised 1.3" front/1.0" rear drop - but I still haven't had any problems with rubbing.
I can't wait to see your ride when it's done!!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's up bro? Glad to see at least someone responded to my post, this thing has been up for most of the day and you're the only one to give me some feedback. These rims are just one of many I've been thinking about buying. Your AT Italia's have been a hard one to keep out of my mind as well, I love those rims on your car, I think they look great from every angle. The idea of getting the same rims as you and then seeing you at the gtg's just doen't seem to sit right with me though :lol: but it still crosses my mind. Most of the rims I've been looking at are about 18x8 with a 35-40 offset, the problem being that the lower the offset the farther out the outside wall of the tire sits (I think) and I'm afraid that could cause problems. I see all over where people have gone from 40 all the way down to 32, but I've never seen anyone talk about 18x8.5's with a 30 offset. I like the rims but they seem like they might be a little too wide for me, maybe I should go back to the drawing board. :???: :???:
Oh by the way, what I'm doing for a dop is still slightly up in the air. I have some Neuspeed Sport springs that I bought from S_Klass on the GB, that should give me about a 1.5"drop, but before I install those I feel the need to replace my stock shocks/struts. I'm not sure what brand yet, Koni's, Bilstein's...?? What did you throw in yours with those H&R springs? I want something that will are adjustable so I can set my drop no lower than 1.5" and make sure I'm level up front and back, not interested in the raked look. Good hearing from you, hope to see you at the June GTG at St. Helen's. By then I should have made up my mind on rims and might even have a drop to boot (fingers crossed). Take care. :b5: :thumbup: :beer:

·
Registered
134 Posts
The difference between an 8" wide 40 offset and a 8.5" 30 offset is HUGE.
(actually it's +10mm for offset and half of half an inch =6mm. total 16mm)
that's 2/3 of an inch farther out. You start at this point to have 2 issues:
1. possible rubbing (on a B5 is 100% sure, on a B5.5 I dunno)
2. added stress on the wheel bearings that weren't set up to have that much exterior force and weight.

These wheels are surely Mercedes-oriented, not Audi.

Go 18x8 35 to 42 on a B5.5 or 38 to 42 on a B5.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hmm.. the wheels I'm getting are 18x8.5" with 35mm offset. According to EdgeRacing, they'll fit fine.

What's your take on that? My car is dropped to within one finger width up front but since it's on KW V2 Coilovers, it could go lower... and probably will. Grin. :lol:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VaRiX said:
Hmm.. the wheels I'm getting are 18x8.5" with 35mm offset. According to EdgeRacing, they'll fit fine.

What's your take on that? My car is dropped to within one finger width up front but since it's on KW V2 Coilovers, it could go lower... and probably will. Grin. :lol:
Are you asking me that question or WagenMeister? I would think it would work but I'm really not the person to ask. Maybe you should PM WagenMeister or start a new topic. Better yet PM Clay @ Tire Rack, he should know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Awww.. Poo! You're right!

Damn Damn Damn! I thought I had this wheel thing all figured out. 17x7" is just too darned skinny. Maybe they have a 40mm offset option...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Update... the Flik Wasps come in 18x7.5" et33 and are a similar look but with fake 3-piece bolts. Oh well.. they'll just have to do.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Here is what I would do and did.
Get the Neuspeed Bilsteins to go with the Neuspeed Sport springs you wont regret it!
Get some rims that are 35-42mm offset mine are 38mm and have no rubbing issues. The rim is 18x8-225/40/18 tire.
The Neuspeed springs and Bilsteins are perfect IMO the ride is very,very comfortable just feels like a sport suspension. My 18's are the stiffest part of the setup.
Good luck! I have a B5.5 1.8T manual

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice Warped. Do you have any pics of your :b5: with the 18's and the drop? Sure would love to see some if you do. Any idea who has the best deal on the Neuspeed Bilsteins?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All good information but my concern was really with the 8.5" wide wheel with a 30 offset. I'm starting to think the whole thing might be pushing my luck to far. I should probably go back to my original size of 18x8 w/35 offset, I know I'm safe with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
SeattleReign
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing