Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there.
I need expert advice on this.

I finally plug the vag-com tool on my wife’s car after she got a few warning lights.
I got this code: 17956, boost pressure regulator valve, N75 open circuit, P1548-35-10 intermittent.

Well I cleared that and everything is back to normal. So just for « fun », I continued the scan and discovered that the ign.timing is at 18° BTDC at idle. What controls the timing and what could be the cause of such an out of tolerance reading?

Thanks!

Gunde

PS:1.8T,AWM engine

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Well, I know that a lower octane gas can affect (retard?) timing.
I noticed you said BTDC, which means it's pulling back on timing.
Are you running Hi-octane? Other things I'm guessing here...
could be the temperature outside? Dirty/fouled plugs?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Rusty said:
No? Ah well, I'm just starting to get the hang of it.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Gunde said:
the ign.timing is at 18° BTDC at idle. What controls the timing and what could be the cause of such an out of tolerance reading?
How do you know it's out-of-tolerance? Did you compare it with specs in the Bentley?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Colin said:
No? Ah well, I'm just starting to get the hang of it.
Advance = spark happens sooner (i.e. before)
Retard = spark happens later (i.e. after)

Although "retarded timing" doesn't necessarily means it happens ATDC. For example, if the nominal timing for a given load and rpm is 20 BTDC, and the knock sensors activate for some reason and the ECU retards timing by 5 degrees, then you have retarded timing, although it's still happening 15 Before TDC.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Thanks Rusty. :thumbsupbub:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Timing at idle is usually the least of your potential worries, but that does sound a little advanced for idle. A couple logs I have show it in the 2-5 range. I'll check later today and post up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timing

Thanks for your help everyone!

I say it's out of tolerance because: I compared it to the reading on my car, and I can read normal value on the mea.blocks page.
Also, super unleaded fuel is used.
Any ideas?

Thanks again

Gunde

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Gunde said:
I say it's out of tolerance because: I compared it to the reading on my car, and I can read normal value on the mea.blocks page.
Lost you somewhere on the above quote Gunde. Maybe explain a different way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
timing

I was answering some of the question asked above.
On my car, I read approx 6° btdc compared to my wife's car that reads 18°.
The car runs "ok" but lacks the quick pedal response of my car. She also gets codes once in a while (O2 sensor, n75 valve,) but the vag-com tool reads those codes as intermittent.

thanks

Gunde

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Which measuring blocks are you reading? IIRC, 002 or 003 or 005 (or something around there) has the "basic engine timing" in field 4. Block 020 has the knock-based timing retard for each cylinder. The basic timing is influenced by rpm, intake air temp, and coolant temp IIRC. You should see all zeros or at worst low single-digit numbers in block 020. The basic timing should fluctuate a bit, even at idle.

Does it stay at 18 BTDC during driving, or does it move around?

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
...but the vag-com tool reads those codes as intermittent.

intermittent can be once every second ;)... as long as it's not continuous in duration.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
timing

Hi Pete1
I took a look again this morning and this is what I read:

measuring blocks, group 03,ignition angle (4th row)at idle:24° BTDC
throttle body angle 3.9%,intake temp 7°C,
coolant temp 36°

At 3000rpm I read 36° BTDC!!!
Block 020, the knock-based timing retard for each cylinder, is 0

As the battery on my laptop is Kaput, I don't have a long enough extension to take on the road...

Thanks

Gunde

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Took another look at block 003 @ idle and it seems to fluctuate between 9-21 degrees, mostly in the 12-16 range when idle sticks at 800 rpm. Not being able to log it on the road makes it real tough to draw any conclusions. I don't think 18 or 24 degrees at idle is a problem. The fact you see 0 retard also shows you're okay. The potential for problems comes under high load conditions and that's not idle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
timing

Thank you very much for your help!
Very much appreciated.
I'll try to get my computer running in the car so I can take in situ readings.

Thanks again!

Gunde

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
It still seems a bit too high for me... hmmm. Log some driving data when you get a chance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ignition timing

After a long search, I found a cut vaccum hose near the turbo.(from the main air intake to the evap canister, and cut by the heat shield of the airbox). I taped it just to see if it would make a difference. Well, timing is now at 9°BTDC and throttle response much better with less hesitation.
When something is running in a funny way on these cars, I guess checking the vaccum hoses is a good start...

thanks

Gunde

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
:thumbup: Glad to hear the car is running better! :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
how many degBTDC do u guys see at redline in a 4th gear pull?is ur timing retard =zero all the time?

(I did not start a new thread,just jacked this one,sorry)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts