Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running on neuspeed sport springs and bilstein adjustable shocks. The rears are at the neutral setting and the fronts are one perch down. I want 18'' BBS wheels but I dont want a really harsh ride. What do you guys think? Anybody running the same suspension? thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hmmm...

Where do you live? If the roads where you live are relatively good then 18's will be fine. But if you live in the NE where we get a lot of pot holes due to the weather you might want to reconsider. I had a set of 18's on my ride when I first got it and I ended up bending all four. Now I'm running 17's. One other thing to remember is 18's are slightly heavier than 17's. You can fell the difference when you brake. 17's IMO are the ideal size for our cars.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
NYA VW said:
One other thing to remember is 18's are slightly heavier than 17's.

Not true, there are loads of lightweight 18's and heavy 17's. An 18 will have moew weight at the outside of the wheel which will affect performance and braking, but being bigger does not automatically make it heavier.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
While most people will think that 17s will look too small, there are some exceptions to this "rule". For instance:

These are 17s, but pretty much look like 18s, so I have the lesser weight (not much, but a little) and more cushioning (sidewall) of a 17, but the looks (mostly) of an 18. Best of both, I say. There's not many wheels that fit into this space, and you may not want to go this way, but I think that this is the ideal sort of wheel, since you get looks without compromising too much in the way of ride quality. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
They are 17's but i like how they look almost stock. It throw's people off, they can't figure out if it's a passat or A4 until they look at the trunk lid. The only people that notice my car are people that know about Vdubs, this way i don't have ricers asking if i have NOS :roll:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
VWinOrlando said:
actually those look like 17s imo...definetly look like 17s...they don't look bad though :thumbup:
Well, you'd have to look from farther away, and be used to spokes that don't go all the way to the very rim. Since these are really open, they look a little bigger than they really are (or rather, the other kind looks smaller). At least to me. 8)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm either going to get the fine, fine 17" A4 rims and really high-performance tires, or 18" Moven GT2's with more of comfort tires...

It all depends on the road conditions. And I doubt you'd notice much of a change in performance if you're moving up from some heavy-ass 16's... mine weigh in at 48 lbs with the tire...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Well, you'd have to look from farther away, and be used to spokes that don't go all the way to the very rim. Since these are really open, they look a little bigger than they really are (or rather, the other kind looks smaller). At least to me.

do what you do :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.