Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really torn about upgrading wheels. I don't want to go thru the trouble of lowering my car ( W8 ) but I'd like some bigger wheels than the 16's it's got.

I'm afraid it will look like a 4x4 (which, I guess it kinda is) if I move to bigger wheels without lowering the car.

Is it worth looking into? Or should I just stick with stock?

·
Registered
92 Posts
H&R spring kit about $225 Labor $200-$400 (depending on where you take it) Might be worth the look and better cornering ability and overall better feel it will give you.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
If you don't want the SUV look you will need to drop the car at least a little bit. Neuspeed soft sport springs would be fine, that wouldn't give you too much of a drop but enough to reduce that huge gap that you will have.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But, I can't do the Neuspeed soft sport springs without upgrading the shocks, can I? (I haven't lowered a car in a long time.) However, the "$225 Labor $200-$400" that AJTR mentioned is kinda what I wanted to aviod.

I know they did a sportier version of the W8 with some nice BBS 17's on it, did that have a different suspension setup as well?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
There are people that are running the Neuspeed springs with stock shocks that like what they have going. It depends on how old your stock springs are. I've got a 2002 1.8T with 32K on it and I'm getting some 18's in a week or so, I'll be buying some Bilstein shocks to go with my Neuspeed Sport springs and get a drop of about 1.75" all around. I figure I should have the shocks replaced since I have to get in there to put the springs in anyway... cheaper to do it all now. It will cost some $$ but that's what mods are about... BIG MONEY.

I have no idea about the W8 set up, it may be running some different type of suspension, I don't know.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that was part of the reason I got a W8 is so I wouldn't do any mods to it, but the temptation is just to great.

I think I'll just save my money up, get a 1992 Nissan 240sx and mod the hell out of it so I can satisfy that urge.

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
It will look a little funny. H+R make a W8 spring to use with the stock shocks. You
can check with Swami or JulianFang.

Install is not easy on the 4MO. MBoyd4MOTION was quoted about $480 at a local dealer. I can do it for much less.
You will also need an alignment afterwards.

You might have to see all of our cars Sunday and then get nice and jealous before you decide. :p

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Eibach is making springs for W8 lowering it for modest 20mm (+/-0.8") this will not affect height of car (in a way that you will worry about lower part of car and dammaging it) but it will give you outstanding handeling and braking improvement. They are calculated to be used with stock height shocks, altough it is better to change them for Koni or others like Bilstein,etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts