Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as drivers....so driving home after going to pick up a pizza and some little f*ckin IDIOT decides it would be a good idea to do a U-turn in the middle of the road with out even LOOKING!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: And thanks to snow and icy roads I couldn't even slow down and hit him doing about 40:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Then the little PUNK has the gaw to ask me if I wouldn't tell the cops he was driving:crazy: so I drove it home but I'm going to have to wait until it's light out to really asses the damage but for what I can see it's pretty frickin bad....So mad right now......Thanks for hearing my rant

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did call the cops....not my problem he didn't want mommy and daddy to find out or what ever he was thinking Well thanks to good ole Mich "no fault" insurance I don't know whats gonna happen....this just happened so I still have to get ahold of my Insurance company

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
No fault doesn't mean what most people think.
No fault auto insurance only means that an indiviual'sinsurance company pays for injuries regarless of fault. Property losses will be paid by his (or whomever's at fault) insurance company.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
you should have 24 hrs to file a police report, know any cops ask what to do.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am sorry for your misfortune, reminds me of this summer when a punk kid cut me off on 35W and almost took off my front bumper a State Trooper went by at about 80 M.P.H. my only thought was did he just see what happened? The Trooper did and pulled him over.

·
Registered
225 Posts
File a report now, just wait till the folks of the kid come after YOU for hitting him without a report, your behind the power crve.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Was anyone given a ticket, or did the cops just say no fault due to the weather? Any witnesses? No fault means both of your insurances will pay for your cars, but you will be out the deductible. Been there with a lying 16 year old myself and $$$$ for the deductible.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Shoulda opted for delivery ... or Digiorno ... :poke:

But seriously sorry to hear, man. Seems like a lot of accidents, bumps, scrapes, and just general misfortune has been posted up recently; can't help thinking I'm next ... :nervous:

Which reminds me ... Tonight I almost hit a man. :O

:sleep:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I can't believe he asked you not to tell the cops... what a jack off.

If someone hit me and asked me that I'd tell the cops that he said it.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts

Meh, for minor accedent, its quite acceptable (dunno if this is it).
When I was 17 and 6 months in I hit a parked car ina lot(long story). I could ahev easily left, with no one the wiser. Instead, I stayed and ended up paying $600 to a bodyshop out of pocket. Likely saved me a lot in insurance. Everyone came ok, actually better than if it ahd been reported. He got his car fixed w/out insuarnce hastles, and I saved an insurance hike.
Only should be done in absolute clear cases of fault with below state mins of reportability. oh and teh car has to be worthe nough that you can sue for it, seize it and come out on top :p

·
Banned
8,975 Posts

Kids do silly things when they're in trouble because they know they don't have the resources to get themselves out of trouble. If the guy had been 26 instead of 16, he might well have said "sorry, go get an estimate and I'll pay the bill." No teenager can pull that off. No power + untested decision-making skills = a very, very thin line to walk.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Kids do silly things when they're in trouble because they know they don't have the resources to get themselves out of trouble. If the guy had been 26 instead of 16, he might well have said "sorry, go get an estimate and I'll pay the bill." No teenager can pull that off. No power + untested decision-making skills = a very, very thin line to walk.
I know, but they have to learn somehow that the decisions they make effect others and they should be held accountable. I guess I wouldn't tell the cops right off the bat but if he started trying to worm his way out of responsibility...

I dunno, I've only been on an accident once, some illegal mexicans guy backed into me at a light and then drove off. I called the cops, they found them a couple miles away. None of them spoke English, brought in an interpreter, they had no license, no insurance, no papers. No nothing.

The cops basically told me that if there was damage to my car I'd pretty much be better of paying it myself because I'd probably never see a dime from them. Thankfully this was in my old Corolla and it just scratched up the bumper a little bit. It already had enough dings and scratches that you'd never know I even got hit.

I was pissed, but not as pissed as it would have been if it would have been in the Passat.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
wow man. i got a cracked taillight the other day and called the cops anyway. O well. I don't think i would trust someone enough to pay me out of pocket unless i knew them personally.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, should anything like this ever happen again, DO NOT LEAVE THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT! Yikes!!

You need a police report.

You should easily get his insurance company to pay your deductible. If they won't - a mini-tort lawsuit will fix that. It usually doesn't boil down to that, though, as it is cheaper for his insurance company to just pay your deductible than it would be to fight it in court. And since this kid obviously made an illegal turn, any court would rule in your favor.

BUT!!! You don't have a police report to substantiate your allegation that he made an illegal U-turn. No witnesses? Nothing on paper? Well, it is your word against his now. Bummer.

So please - don't just leave the scene of an accident. Get a police report, right then and there. It doesn't matter what the other party says, or tries to pay you off on the spot, or whatever. Call the police from the scene.

In today's day and age of lawsuits and insurance fraud - one can never be too careful.

Also - since he did a U-hand turn, I picture in my mind a turn to the left, meaning you hit his driver's side. And at 40mph? Wow. That's a big hit - enough to kill. No injuries? I would hate to see a hospital bill for this kid show up in your mailbox. You NEED that police report - at the scene...not after the fact.

I hope everything turns out ok for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts