Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine tells me that his requirement for an oil change is every 15k miles, and his transmission fluid never has to be changed. 2001 325i. is that correct? he said that the dealer told him that it was the 'type' of oil they use. i know this is a vw site, not a bmw site, but i still have to ask the question.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If thats what is reccomended by the factory then I would say go with it.

For my self though? Since I use Dino in my quality, I stick by the 3k or 3 months. But I also plan on keeping my car sof 200k+

If its just a lease, or you sell your car every 4 to 5 years, then sure go with it.

Also with the Tranny ^the above applies. I change mine ever 24k.

-Nick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i put this in the wrong spot.

thanks for the reply. i change my oil every 2-3k because of the climate i live in. i use m1 5w-30. it might be overkill to change it that soon, based on vw's 5k recomendation, but at least i know its clean. i was thinking about going to 5w-40, but not sure yet.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
My brother, tell your friend NOT to follow BMW's oil-change interval schedule. This has been a huge issue with BMW and Mercedes Benz!! Many European automakers use a recommended oil-change interval that's not conducive for most U.S. drivers. BMW and Mercedes Benz dealerships use Synthetic engine oil; (Mobil-1 in most cases). Synthetics allow for a few extra miles between changes, but 15K miles is going a little too far. I wouldn't go more than 7,500 miles on a synthetic engine oil!!!! There's been quite a few grumblings about a class-action against Mercedes Benz from owners who followed the 15K interval who have seized engines. Now that his car is almost out of warranty, he should be very careful!!

Now your friend's transmission fluid should be flushed and all the bearings re-lubed seals and filters replaced at around 55K, or when he feels the transmission start to slip. Yes transmission fluid in some cars is so-called Lifetime but if you want to avoid a costly repair, it's good to do some basic preventative maintenance on the transmission. $300.00 transmission flush or $5700 repair when a transmission filter or seal breaks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
For what its worth, I put 150k miles on a 85 GTI using Mobil 1 with a 15K interval. I did change the filter at 7.5K and added another quart of oil between changes. I remember when I first started doing it Mobil 1 said that 15K intervals were OK.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sounds about right for a 3-series.

BMW uses a "longlife" synthetic oil. Also (more importantly) they have a huge capacity, the 2.5l hold 7+ qts of oil, almost DOUBLE the capacity of the 1.8T!

The ECU monitors # of starts, duration of trip, engine temps, etc. to determine when to change the oil, an indicator is set on the cluster that counts down as the oil gets closer to needing a change.

Drive it hard, it will tell you to change sooner, drive it easy, it will go 10-15K before determining it needs to be changed.

NBMW uses a synth. fluid in the gearbox, just likeVW, who also states "lifetime".

Here again you probably should change it at some point for "best" protection.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Yeah, Audi claimed the fluid in the V8 quattro and A8 were "lifetime". Well lifetime if you don't change the fluid is about 75,000 miles. People have found that if you change the fluid ever 30,000 miles that the tranies last well over 150,000 miles... So, is the fluid lifetime? :poke: You decide... :suspicio:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
StormChaser404
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing