Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my passenger side differential seal let go along with the inner CV boot from being soaked in gear oil a few weeks back....I did not feel like doing this myself, so I went to the dealer. Also wanted a brake fluid flush.

The trans pan was crushed, decided to do trans mounts and needed a new fluid reservoir since the old was so dried it would've burst.

I picked up the parts to save some cash-all VW or ZF manufactured which came to around $750.

A few parts they used and labor came to around $750.

I love my dealer, but damn is that labor rate steep. Either way I'm glad to have her back, and how does she reward me? Service Now! In the cluster to change the oil...I can't win.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
And the point is, that labor is expensive (not exclusive to VW) or that a 14-year-old car needed a lot of it? And we all know that OCI intervals are affected by how much else you've needed to do (GRIN).

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was more of just talking on the forum for the hell of it, but mostly to show how grateful my car was by yelling at me to change the oil now.

No amount of service is ever good enough, they always demand more....why we refer to cars as "she, her, etc..." I suppose.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone being able to have non-dealer parts installed at a VW dealership. :O

Even at independent shops that allow it, I don't expect them to warranty anything if I brought the parts in. I usually supply OEM parts so they give the OK on a 90 day warranty.

Given the $1500 worth of work was done on a Tip, it was worth what you paid to have a 12 month warranty. (you're really lucky it was only $1500).

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Even if you spend $1K/year on repairs and maintenance, it is cheaper than a new car. Two years ago my 1996 A4 Quattro got tires, front half-shafts, control arms, and ATF at an indy, plus brake reservoir, power steering pump, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, cam seals, injector cleanout, and PCV makeover at home, for a grand total of about $2K. This year I put a $1K paint job on it. It looks great, runs great, and passes California smog handily after 10 years of my ownership and 9 years with the first owner, and I currently plan to keep it another 5 to 10 years.

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as reliability goes, I've had to replace many failing components or as preventative maintenance. Not as of yet have I not made it home in my VW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts