Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the difference is in a 150 hp 1.8T in the early b5 passat's and the 170hp 1.8t in the newer b5's.Is it the computer,Turbo size or maybe the factory turbo valve and Is it possible to upgrade to the 170hp version (on a budjet of course).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Doesnt the newer b5 have some type of valve timing differences?

·
Registered
667 Posts
IDriveB5 said:
and the 150's have forged internals and the 170's have cast
Where did that info come from?
I have always thought that all 1.8T's except the TT225 (as well as the Seat Leon Cupra R) had the same internals (and the year they droped compression to 9.3:1). :???: ( I could be wrong on this though)

Head design and ECU programing is what make them different.

AEB 1.8T (early motors) have bigger valves and dont have that peskey boost sensor.

Later motors have drive by wire and a form of variable valve timing, not in the honda since of making gobs more hp over the regular version, but more for economy and a better torque curve.

And according to VW's website, we all have forged cranks.

Doesn't matter, because after a chip, we all end up around the same HP.

Der Wagon: I believe you have the 150hp motor with all the upgrades of the 170hp version. (VVT etc.)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
big byrd said:
IDriveB5 said:
Where did that info come from?...
I seem to recall a thread on Vortex where this was discussed. I think it's just the con rods - the later cars have cast con rods, but maybe the crank is still forged? There was a big debate about whether the cast rods were good enough or not. Or maybe it wasn't Vortex, maybe it was HERE, because I seem to recall Macabre was in on it... :???:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I know Shummer got his turbo replaced on his 2000 B5 with a K03-sport and saw a jump in power. He and I are both chipped and he has a good bit more power than I do. I have a manual and even with a tip, he pulls on me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Here is the most detailed answer to your question
1.the 170hp version has the most revised version of the K03 turbo
2.The 170hp version has an upgraded fuel system which uses injectors with higher flow rate.
3. The ECU program allows the engine to run higher boost

So in a nut shell the newer 170hp engine has a higher unmodified hp potential
with a 1bar chip they can see up to 215hp before any other mods.

The older 15hp version is limited to 200hp because of the fuel system.

When they initially decide to tune the engine it was for durability so the part were more suited to the 150hp application

The later engine that produce 170hp are a different block design that is also shared with the FWD tranverse platforms such as the Jetta, Golf , and Audi TT

This later version of engine was engineered with higher hp potietial hence this is why you see modified 1.8T transverse car producing way more hp that seen in ther longitudinal applications.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Good info!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
my wagon's turbo went out when i bought it, so they replaced it with a newer style turbo.

it certainly felt quicker than the old turbo once the job was done.

and then i got chipped.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Rusty said:
big byrd said:
IDriveB5 said:
Where did that info come from?...
I seem to recall a thread on Vortex where this was discussed. I think it's just the con rods - the later cars have cast con rods, but maybe the crank is still forged? There was a big debate about whether the cast rods were good enough or not. Or maybe it wasn't Vortex, maybe it was HERE, because I seem to recall Macabre was in on it... :???:
I definitely remember the thread, it was way back when though, on vwvortex. From the information I've seen, the crank on all K03 1.8Ts is cast. The rods on all K03 1.8Ts are cast. The pistons on early K03 1.8Ts are forged, later K03 1.8Ts are cast. No oil squirters. All K04 1.8Ts have forged pistons and rods, not sure about the crank, and oil squirters. I know the VW site disagrees with this, I also know that there's a whole bunch of things on the VW spec pages that are incorrect. All of this information is second hand.

http://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/40669.phtml

I hate linking to vwvortex, but one person confirmed here.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=446401
"One of the improvements when they went to the ULEV engine was to change to a cast piston. The new engine put greater thermal loads on the piston, especially near the raised rings. They went with a chemical vapor deposition process to protect this area and in so doing where able to recoup all the cost of the CVD and then some by using cast pistons."

I couldn't find the original thread, as they would only let me search back to late 2001, and I believe it was before that.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Kenny Payne said:
Computer, mostly. An aftermarket chip upgrade will get you close to 190 horses.

Regards,

Kenny
Kenny,

Did the Car-wash syndrome/too rich get fixed in the update?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.