Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good replacement for the crap 195/65-15 tires on the wife's 2000 Passat V6, can we run a 205/60-15 on the stock rim ok? Whats the general consensus, the 195/65 looks like its too skinny for the rim.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Are you on steelies or alloys? 205/60 is the best size for the 6" wide steelies. If you have 7" wide alloys, you can go 225/50 but it's a less common size and harder to find "in stock."

Wheel and Tire Forum?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would go for 215/60-15 size and here is why:

195/65-15 diameter = 24.98
205/60-15 diameter = 24.68 (diff from stock -.30)
215/60-15 diameter = 25.16 (diff from stock +.18)

The 205 tire has a smaller diameter than the 195. This will mean more revs at highway speeds and will increase the fender gap when your car is viewed from the side.

The 215 tire has a larger diameter than the 195 which will drop yours revs on the highway and fill your wheel wells better. The 215/60 size is also the closest in size diameter to the stock 195.

just my .02

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
FYI, with the 215 tire vs the 195 tire your speedo will be off by .7%. At an indicated 60mph you would actually be travelling 60.4mph. This does not take into account the variance between indicated and actual that already exists courtesy of VW. (Roughly 3% slow, AFAIK)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I have to through my vote in for Michelin Pilot XGT H4 tires in the 205/60 - 15 size. I use these as my alternate/winter wheels and tires. These tire are absolutely fabulous! :thumbup: There are really nice dry tires and stick very well. And their wet traction is hard to beat as well. Tenacious is the word I'd use! :D
I paid about $87 per tire for thema little while back from a local Discount Tire store. But even at $10 more per tire they are well worth it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
My 205/60/15 Falken Ziex ZE-512's are being mounted as we speak. I'm upgrading from the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4+ 195/65/15's that are unevenly balding and dry rotted :eek:

I fully expect at least a noticeable improvement in all aspects.

Paid $198 shipped from Vulcan Tire and about $65 mount and road-force balance at my dealer (since I'm there checking our a suspension clunk anyway).

If you'd like I'll let you know my 10second impressions tomorrow so that you can take them with a grain of salt (no tire review is complete until the tire is worn past it's usefulness as tire charactaristics change as the tire wears).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just had a set of Kumho Ecsta KH11's thrown on my Variant. It's only been a couple weeks, but I think they are great. Especially considering the low price. I've paid twice as much in the past and have not been nearly as happy. Read the reviews on places like Tire Rack...they tend to get great reviews.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tank said:
ice man would the 215/60/15 in the sport tire be to wide for the 7"adelaides.The sport tires are very square would the mag seem sucked in
I don't know. I haven't tried the 215's yet but I plan too when the stock 195's need replacing. I don't think clearence would be an issue. I think 215's could be installed on the stock 7" rim, but you are right they may be a little "pinched". I will start a new thread asking the very question.

cheers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tank said:
ice man would the 215/60/15 in the sport tire be to wide for the 7"adelaides.The sport tires are very square would the mag seem sucked in
I don't know. I haven't tried the 215's yet but I plan too when the stock 195's need replacing. I don't think clearence would be an issue. I think 215's could be installed on the stock 7" rim, but you are right they may be a little "pinched". I will start a new thread asking the very question.

cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got the Bridgestone Potenza G009 in the 205/60 -15 and have been very pleased so far (only a week). There is definitely some improvement over the stock Michelins on the highway at high speeds and on twisty roads. I have yet to try them in the rain though. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.