Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parts4vws.com seems to have a good price, $430 with pads, but I'd like to buy the discs and carriers without the pads since I sourced them already.

ECS tuning are expensive for the OEM parts.

I've asked parts4vws if they can quote for the kit without pads but does anyone else have them?

I'd prefer to know what brand the discs are too, it would be a shame to fit top quality pads and blow all that money on the TT carriers just to blow the deal on cheap discs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikekiM said:
purems.com carries a kit as well. You have to look under the Audi A4 brake kits though.

Same kit and is interchangeable.
Ah, yes. They do list it for the Passat too.

Are Zimmerman discs any use?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Geordie I was in the same boat you were I just wanted the caliper carrier and the discs and Meg at Part4vw.com was trying her best to come up with something but ended up recommending the complete kit. They have all the parts listed separately and if you put together just what you need it costs more than the kit. So look at it as you are getting the brake pad for free and a discount.

I also looked at puremotorsport and saw there kit was cheaper but it did not have any pad included. But the disc had many choice that raised the price with every upgrade. (so it did not appear to be as good a deal as parts4vw.)

I need to change my warped rotors right away so I just ordered them from ECS with some other parts I needed. ( parts4vw was backordered for the caliper carriers)

Can you tell us exactly what your plans are? Do you plan to use different brake pad than they are offering?

What pads to you plan on using every one has there own opinion on break pad and what they would use (but sometimes the ones we choose disappoint us)

I figured I would buy the kit and what ever brakes I would buy what I really want.

Think about this you can alway sell the pad on the classified if you get the kit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the kit from parts4vws and I've ordered the PBR/AXXIS Ultimates for front and rear. It's getting the 30k service on Monday, I expect the rear pads will have worn a bit thin by then. I guess the total with shipping and all else is about $550 though I've ordered the rear brake tool and will be keeping it so the grand total will be around $600.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That sounds good I will be running the boring set up of mintex redbox front and back. Ate rotors (rear) and BBS (front).

Tyrol brake bushing kit (the icing on the cake).

Now that is what call upgraded brakes for the "projekt GLI" :thumbup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For me the jury is out on the brake bushing kit, I heard some people had some wear issues. If I get serious I'll go Brembo for $2500.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The stoptech brake kits are also a decent BBK to look into they cost a little less and finding brake pads for them should not be a headache.

Yeah geodie I know what you mean but I figured [email protected]$k it I would give them a shot I still think they should have made them from Poly delrin the price would have been way cheaper. But I will give them a shot Mike now includes a packet of caliper grease with the kit I placed my order right when he got the grease packets in so if that I can see if the grease makes a difference if I have issues with the grease then I will use use some CV joint grease and if that don't work off they come. I hope it does not have to come to that though :suspicio:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.