Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having owned this Passat since February 2004, I have not needed to change any bulbs on the car, ever. I have however replaced the xenon bulbs a year ago, but the the original bulbs were still in quite good condition (no reddish hue, the sign of bulb going out). Anyway, now, today is the day that I have an official burnt bulb that I need to replace. The passenger side tail light is out. Most likely culprit is the cracked housing, so some moisture can get inside. Driver side is still going strong. I have to say this is quite a remarkable achievement so I thought to share it. Although I have rather low mileage for the age of the car. Just hit 78000 miles (125000 km) the other day. Any similar experiences with the hard to kill bulbs?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I just got my 2002 in March and it has now 87,000 miles. I just replaced all four dual filament bulbs in the back as I noticed all four tail lights worked but only my top brake lights worked. After replacing all four bulbs, all four tail and brake lights worked again. I put myself in Sylvania ZXE headlights but those blew when my alternator blew. So I had to get new bulbs because of my stupid alternator. My signals and reverse lights I haven't touched. So I don't know how old those are. I also haven't touched the high beams. I'm thinking of getting Sylvania ultra bulbs and putting those in my low beams and the ZXE in my high beams. I'm not sure yet.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...glx-atq-engine-start-up-tail-brake-light.html that's the thread I recently made about the bulbs.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think I replaced one of my headlight bulbs years ago and maybe one of the taillight bulbs, but every other bulb in my '99 B5 is original and still working.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I replaced the halgen headlights this year, making it 13 years on the original bulbs. Of course, the car only had about 45K miles on it. Here in the FL sun, the headlamp lenses needed reconditioning before the bulbs blew out.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
On my 2004 w/115,000 miles, I still have the majority of my original bulbs. I've replaced the low beams, and both upper tail light bulbs. Annoyingly, the "super-modern, lifetime" LED center brake light lost three LEDs, necessitating replacement of the entire unit. I opted for a $20 salvage part rather than $157 at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Over 145k, my '04 has needed the low beams three times I think, dual-filament tail light bulbs two or three times, a cornermarker, and the climate bulb buried inside the fan knob.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
Light bulbs indeed seem to last a long time on these cars.

I have lost two of the center brakelight bulbs on the Passat wagon, but since those are evidently a pain to replace, I am going to wait until a couple more go out. I did the B5 2-to-4-brakelight conversion described in an earlier forum thread, so there is no shortage of attention-getting brakelight illumination.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update. It wasn't burnt bulb after all, but the fuse. Culprit, shorted chinese LED city light which I had also installed eventhough the original city lights were still fully functional. Lesson learned, do not change anything that works.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Light bulbs indeed seem to last a long time on these cars.

I have lost two of the center brake light bulbs on the Passat wagon, but since those are evidently a pain to replace, I am going to wait until a couple more go out. I did the B5 2-to-4-brake light conversion described in an earlier forum thread, so there is no shortage of attention-getting brake light illumination.
having a wagon, yes its a pain! but while your in there clean the inside of the lens, the window it back up to, and replace ALL bulbs. make sure to use long life bulbs too. after that chances are you'll never have to crack into it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts