Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is running Mobile 1 10W-30 oil safe in our cars? I used it last oil change, and I plan to use it again this oil change. Atomic Alex, your comments would be appreciated :D. Anyone else is welcome to respond as well. I would like to hear from people that have used it for an extended period of time. Whether or not it has caused any problems and such. Keep in mind I live in Southern California, so it doesn't get that cold in the winter (Low 40's is extreme)

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Isn't it the other end of the temperature spectrum where you should be worried with 10-30.. the 80F plus you probably get in California. I think if I was worried at all I would be worried about the oil getting too thin in high temperatures v/s being to thick at low temperatures. Just my thoughts ..

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know all that much about oil. I do know that you run thinner oil in lower temperatures, so it cycles through the engine faster and lubes the parts up quickly. I am not sure if thinning is a problem. It is already a relativly thick oil. I ran it all summer with no problems. My question was really asked because I have seen so many threads about oil, all having conflicting information. The dealers reccomend 10w-40, which is virtually non existant. I get this particular oil at costco for very cheap, so that is why I use it. By the way, the temperatures over the summer often reached 110 or more here :(. It was 51 this morning when I left my car to go to school. I got back, and my temp read 104 :suspicio: (when the hell are we going to get some winter daytime weather :cry:)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Why don't you use Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40 if you're Mobil 1 fan? It’s now widely available at Wal-Mart and AutoZone. M1 0W-40 also meets all VW 502 00/505 00/503 01 specs which M1 10W-30 doesn’t have.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Alex,

I have noticed in some oil analysis reports that some of the large spread oils like 5w-40 or 0w-40 shear pretty badly in the 1.8s even in only 5000 mile intervals. I have also heard that shearing could produce varnish that can cause ring sticking later on in the engine's life and increase oil consumption. Is this true in your opinion? I ask because if it is true, it seems to me that a more shear stable 5w-30 or even 10w-30 oil might be the way to go in the long run. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your oil expertise with us oil peons :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I have yet to have any problems with oil leaking out. I did crack my pan, which caused a nice mess in my garage... but nothing since that. I change my oil fairly liberally. I am at 4000 miles right now and going nuts because i haven't changed it yet (changing it on monday actually). My engine is still fairly young at only 28,600 miles, so I wouldn't imagine I would be leaking oil yet if the oil isn't the right viscosity. I am not really a mobile 1 "fan", it is simply what is available out here for cheap. I am using synthetic because of my driving habits (constantly at high revs, always redlining) and I don't want to take a 100 dollar hit every time I change my oil out. As I already have the 10W-30, I am going to put it in for this change... I am just looking for any advice on my next change. Thanks for the info Alex :wink:. :bow: to the oil godess :poke:

·
Registered
827 Posts
atomicalex said:
You live in Cali and drive a V6. You will never need anything other than 10Wxx. 30 in winter, 40 in summer. The V6 is not particularly oil-tight, so 5W might find itself on your driveway.
:nervous:
I am a V6 dude running the 5w-40 synth... Getting me a little worried there.. But up to now (14k miles on my 03) my V6 has only burned half a quart every 5k.. Ususal by the time i am about to do an Oil Change i see that the car is low on oil.. So its not too bad.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Alex,

You've made me curious... why do you say the V6 is't particularly oil tight? Not that I'm disagreeing, I can add evidence to your statement since I go thru about 1 qt per 5K. Not nearly enough to fuss over. Just curious as to what made you form that opinion (since you are a pressurized type person). ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-40 is a different formulation than Mobil 1 xW-30 oils. I'd use either the Mobil 1 0W-40 or 76 5W-40 (or Kendall 5W-40--same oil) in your car.

Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts