Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Did you notice that he mentioned working at Tesla back then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,407 Posts
Did you notice that he mentioned working at Tesla back then?
No I hadn't notice that part. But it explains how he's been able to accomplish such complicated operations that is not doable for average Joe.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
No I hadn't notice that part. But it explains how he's been able to accomplish such complicated operations that is not doable for average Joe.
From what I understand, it was not subsidized or sponsored by Tesla. I only mentioned that because he clearly had the aptitude and knowledge of how to do so and the connections possibly to find and acquire the needed equipment.

·
2,407 Posts
From what I understand, it was not subsidized or sponsored by Tesla. I only mentioned that because he clearly had the aptitude and knowledge of how to do so and the connections possibly to find and acquire the needed equipment.
That's my understanding as well. I was electrical engineer myself and recognize how horrendous of a job he has accomplished. But as you mentioned, he has the connections, he was trained at the right location, he had the necessary info both for parts and the road map. That's why I said this is no something for the average Joe. We won't be able to do it the way he rebuilt his car (at least not me! :p). Having said that, it doesn't make any less valuable and respectful job he has done. I take my hat for him and feel miserable lacking those skills :cry:.

·
2,407 Posts
I actually built the car 3 years before I started at Tesla, I drove it there for my interview. Worked at Tesla for 7 years.
But how did you know about all the needed parts and components? Those were not widely available those days. Was it your own invention or you got the map from somewhere?
You realize that it's a complex animal. It's not doable by just trial-and-error. You need a solid blueprint.

·
Registered
408 Posts
But how did you know about all the needed parts and components? Those were not widely available those days.
All-electric cars are 25 years old....so why wouldn't the info and tech be available to someone that is obviously in the industry or massively interested in doing that project?

·
2,407 Posts
All-electric cars are 25 years old....so why wouldn't the info and tech be available to someone that is obviously in the industry or massively interested in doing that project?
If we wanna go that far then the concept of EV had existed with Edison. I don't think technology of EV is a one-man show. Unless, again, you have access to the entire blueprint. If those were available, Chinese had jumped and copy EVs long time ago which they didn't. This means it ain't that simple. That's why I asked OP how he accessed the blueprint. It's not that important here. The important part of the story is that he had guts and perseverance and will power and, above all !, the money to do it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But how did you know about all the needed parts and components? Those were not widely available those days. Was it your own invention or you got the map from somewhere?
You realize that it's a complex animal. It's not doable by just trial-and-error. You need a solid blueprint.
No blue print, I din't get a map or instructions, it was all just learning by doing experiments in the garage. I have a video showing all my trials and errors here:

·
2,407 Posts
No blue print, I din't get a map or instructions, it was all just learning by doing experiments in the garage. I have a video showing all my trials and errors here:
I only can praise your talent (y)

·
Registered
05 Passat Wagon TDI
1 Posts
maybe i'm just a huge VW nerd, but is it not common knowledge that Ferdinand Porsche developed the FIRST hybrid vehicle and was at the forefront of EV design in the late 19th and very early 20th century?

--no wiki link here because first post--
just google porsche electric car.

Nice work OP. Very Porsche-esque :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you have to do any suspension work on the front for the weight of your batteries, or is it approximate to the weight of the engine? You used the original VW automatic transmission? A conventional transmission would help keep weight up front. But would think the batts weigh more than the motor it replaced. I have the engine and trans out of mine right now due to lost one cylinder at 339K. The front end looks like it's jacked up right now. Wanna help me put an EV in place of my motor!!? :p Now would be the time! Bummer, I'm east coast. Good work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts