Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

10 years later, my B5 Passat EV Conversion

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Thekroz455 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Did you notice that he mentioned working at Tesla back then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
But how did you know about all the needed parts and components? Those were not widely available those days. Was it your own invention or you got the map from somewhere?
You realize that it's a complex animal. It's not doable by just trial-and-error. You need a solid blueprint.

#16 ·
maybe i'm just a huge VW nerd, but is it not common knowledge that Ferdinand Porsche developed the FIRST hybrid vehicle and was at the forefront of EV design in the late 19th and very early 20th century?

--no wiki link here because first post--
just google porsche electric car.

Nice work OP. Very Porsche-esque :)

#17 ·
Did you have to do any suspension work on the front for the weight of your batteries, or is it approximate to the weight of the engine? You used the original VW automatic transmission? A conventional transmission would help keep weight up front. But would think the batts weigh more than the motor it replaced. I have the engine and trans out of mine right now due to lost one cylinder at 339K. The front end looks like it's jacked up right now. Wanna help me put an EV in place of my motor!!? :p Now would be the time! Bummer, I'm east coast. Good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.