Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really?

so, order an updated 078103485F oil cap from a major aftermarket supply company...what .5 lbs and the size of a pack of smokes and it costs nearly 11 dollars to ship?

Really.

I could ship this for 4 bux.

/rant off

AJ

· Moderator/Administrator
26,115 Posts
its ok to call them out. ECS sucks for shipping. My guess is that since they don't pay taxes on shipping earnings its free money for them. Might be ok if the actual parts prices were cheaper than anywhere else, but they arent.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,195 Posts
Which, of course, is why you check shipping costs before confirming the order. My local dealer knows me well enough to take 15, sometimes 20 percent of on part purchases; it's almost ALWAYS cheaper than the "lower" mail order price plus shipping.

· Registered
5,889 Posts
I get my stuff from autohausaz for this reason. $50 and over is no-charge UPS shipping. Just plan ahead for your engine air filter, oil filter, plugs, etc. The other day I got a serp belt tensioner, cabin filter, and a few small bulbs for $50.11, shipping was free.

· Registered
399 Posts
A year ago when I had the same issue, I asked ecs why shipping was so much. I was told it was because they dont ship in envelopes and they have to insure all shipments. I was given the suggestion to order some regular maintenance items like oil filters to help offset the shipping costs. I did end up just driving to the dealer for that item since it was less than a buck. Problem for me is the nearest dealership is over an hour drive away.

· Lefties have rights, too!
15,266 Posts
Don't forget the handling piece. In addition to putting the material in a shipping container, which also has a cost, the order needs to be processed, invoice printed, the part picked from inventory, part and invoice packaged, then given to the shipping carrier.

This is why many vendors charge shipping on orders <$50 or <$100. To cover costs.:sleep:

· Registered
385 Posts
Can you guys post dealer part number for updated oil cap? Our dealer would order one, but was not sure, based on their Etka, if it is the correct one. Also, is there any way to be able to say by looking at it, if it is updated version or not? About 3 week ago I called ECs and shipping was 70 cad for updated oil cap, making it probably the most expensive oil cap right after the one for VEYRON.:crazy:
Kamil

26,115 Posts
Don't forget the handling piece. In addition to putting the material in a shipping container, which also has a cost, the order needs to be processed, invoice printed, the part picked from inventory, part and invoice packaged, then given to the shipping carrier.

This is why many vendors charge shipping on orders <$50 or <$100. To cover costs.:sleep:
That'd be fine if the actual part cost was lower to help offset it. It is unnacceptable to charge that much for shipping. The profits of the sale go to pay the employees and parts pickers, invoicers, etc. There should be no extra fee.

Can you guys post dealer part number for updated oil cap? Our dealer would order one, but was not sure, based on their Etka, if it is the correct one. Also, is there any way to be able to say by looking at it, if it is updated version or not? About 3 week ago I called ECs and shipping was 70 cad for updated oil cap, making it probably the most expensive oil cap right after the one for VEYRON.:crazy:
Kamil
ECS posts part numbers. Look it up and then buy somewhere else.

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,195 Posts
That'd be fine if the actual part cost was lower to help offset it. It is unnacceptable to charge that much for shipping. The profits of the sale go to pay the employees and parts pickers, invoicers, etc. There should be no extra fee.
Welcome to the 21st century. (and the latter third of the 20th). This is the way things are sold now. Do you think you're actually going to get to Florida for that $99 ticket price you saw advertised? No; it's $99 for the ticket, plus a ticketing fee, a baggage fee, extra for a packet of peanuts, a pillow, etc.

I'm sure even most of the companies doing it don't like it, but if they built in all the costs (as they really should) they'd have to advertise the cap at $35. That would cost them ALL their sales, whereas following "the rules" and adding on the costs loses them only a few.

Don't waste your time bitching about it here; vote with your dollars and shop somewhere else. If you're feeling kindly, let them know why. Either way, when sales drop off, they'll get the message pretty quick.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the old one (that ECS apparently still sells). Look at the underside of the cap to tell the difference.

old P/N-06B103485C:
Home Page > Search > Oil Cap > ES#253129 Oil Filler Cap - 06B103485C

new P/N - 078103485F
Home Page > Search > Oil Cap > ES#251141 Oil Filler Cap - Update Version - 078103485F

AJ

Kamil

26,115 Posts
Welcome to the 21st century. (and the latter third of the 20th). This is the way things are sold now. Do you think you're actually going to get to Florida for that $99 ticket price you saw advertised? No; it's $99 for the ticket, plus a ticketing fee, a baggage fee, extra for a packet of peanuts, a pillow, etc.

I'm sure even most of the companies doing it don't like it, but if they built in all the costs (as they really should) they'd have to advertise the cap at $35. That would cost them ALL their sales, whereas following "the rules" and adding on the costs loses them only a few.

Don't waste your time bitching about it here; vote with your dollars and shop somewhere else. If you're feeling kindly, let them know why. Either way, when sales drop off, they'll get the message pretty quick.
my bitching about it here informs other members and hopefully ecs sees it too. And no, other companies actually give a break on shipping. I order a lot online and find lots of stuff with minimal shipping charges and good prices on the product. Tell me why that is.

· Registered
11,610 Posts
Vagguy, I see you bitching about this all the time, quit bitiching and go somewhere else if you don't like.

With that said, when I build my brother in laws motor I bought alot of parts from ECS because they were cheaper then other sources. The only thing I did buy from then were the bearings and rings, cause they didn't have the ones I wanted. If you need one or two small items they may no be the place to buy, but if you need alot of stuff, the price and shipping is not bad at all.

· Registered
385 Posts
Here's the old one (that ECS apparently still sells). Look at the underside of the cap to tell the difference.

old P/N-06B103485C:
Home Page > Search > Oil Cap > ES#253129 Oil Filler Cap - 06B103485C

new P/N - 078103485F
Home Page > Search > Oil Cap > ES#251141 Oil Filler Cap - Update Version - 078103485F

AJ
believe it ,or not I have completely overlooked pics of the back side of the cap. Thanks , now I can tell the dealer, if it is the right cap.:bowdown:kamil

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,195 Posts
I've been saying this about ECS Tuning for years! Their shipping costs turn great deals into Jessie James robbery! Buying heavy brake components can literally break the bank!!!
As I pointed out previously, this is the deal breaker for any mail-order company regarding heavy/bulky items. The local dealership was vastly cheaper for my fender liners and belly pan. It depends on the deal they make with the shipper. The service department I manage has almost no parts inventory; EVERYTHING comes by FedEx overnight. Because of the volume, each item costs only a couple of dollars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.